PDA

View Full Version : certain changes in KNOPPIX after hdd install

genzo
03-26-2003, 06:03 AM
it generally looks a bit different.. some of the default fonts in mozilla are different.. the icons appear smaller.

i also noticed that the KNOPPIX menu in the K-start panel is gone.. this makes it more difficult to configure the network, printer, etc.. why is it gone?

also, once you do a hdd-install, the wonderful hardware detection no longer runs right? this makes my life difficult as i was going to configure a box for my dad, but he was going to keep his monitor.

anyone know how to get the hdd install to run like the CD-ROM knoppix?

Fabianx
03-28-2003, 09:51 PM
it generally looks a bit different.. some of the default fonts in mozilla are different.. the icons appear smaller.

i also noticed that the KNOPPIX menu in the K-start panel is gone.. this makes it more difficult to configure the network, printer, etc.. why is it gone?

also, once you do a hdd-install, the wonderful hardware detection no longer runs right? this makes my life difficult as i was going to configure a box for my dad, but he was going to keep his monitor.

anyone know how to get the hdd install to run like the CD-ROM knoppix?

As you already learned debian is not knoppix ...

You can get the "right" configuration in copying "/etc/skel" to your favorite users home dir ...

You can copy the KNOPPIX menue again from CD to your hard disk build ... /KNOPPIX/usr/share/applnk/KNOPPIX (Its jsut the menue and its gone, because sudo does not work with installed system; user should learn, he is not always "root"; make life more secure)

... mkxf86config should still work also on installed system ...

Elese, boot just once from CD-Rom and then copy Xf86config-4 from CD to HD ...

Hope that helps!

cu

Fabian

rickenbacherus
03-28-2003, 10:40 PM

In the control center (I forget exactly where as I am not at my Linbox right now) you can add the 'printer' config to your KDE menu.

Not sure what you mean here. Maybe you're thinking of installing Knoppix to a hard drive and then putting that drive in another machine. If so, is there some reason why can't you boot Knoppix on your dad's machine? More details please.

genzo
03-31-2003, 06:03 PM
i'm actually building a new linux box for him.. i figured that knoppix is nice enough that he can throw away his old win 98 computer and just use knoppix.. but i was just going to mail him the box without a monitor. i was worried that his monitor might not work properly and since there is no knoppix detection after you install it on your hard drive, i was worried about whether or not he would have problems booting with his monitor..

thanks for your help

Stephen
03-31-2003, 09:05 PM
Unless you have changed the monitor settings in the Control Center's xdisplay it is just using a generic monitor setting so there should be no problem.

Also if you are mailing him the box make sure he opens it up and checks everything is seated properly. I have a friend who recently fried the CPU during boot after moving (the CPU came loose).

VeeDubb
04-19-2003, 07:04 PM
Yup, check all the internal connections. A couple years ago a friend of mine drove from Ashland (Oregon/California border) to Seattle for a tribes players convention. he got there and spent half the convention just trying to get his systm to post because things had come unseated in transit and he didn't check that untill some stranger sugested it. Lucky for him, it was just the RAM, so no permanent damage.