PDA

View Full Version : Installing Knoppix on hard drive

Bubba
10-16-2004, 09:52 PM
I want to be able to install knoppix on my hard drive so it will boot from hard drive. I'm fairly new to linux I downloaded a instruction sheet that says all i have to do is type ctrl-alt-f1 and type in knx-hdinstall that does not seem to work at all. Any suggestions?

Markus
10-16-2004, 10:39 PM
The new installer is called knoppix-installer. See the Docs section about installing howto's or ask.

shah
10-16-2004, 11:30 PM
Do a search in this forum. It has been disscussed soooooo many times.

:D :D

Cuddles
10-17-2004, 06:19 PM
Bubba,

First of all, Welcome to Linux, and the Debian "Sid" which is what Knoppix is based on...

Secondly, depending on the version of Knoppix you are installing, the installers changed between two versions, and since the version was not specific of what you have, I can only guess you are running Knoppix v3.4 or higher...

knx-hdinstall was used in installers, pre to version 3.4
knoppix-installer is currently, the newer installer, used in versions 3.4 or higher - or so I think.

Again, Welcome, and hope to have you contribute your learning, and assistance, to this forum. We all contribute our "knowledge", and our concerns, and our problems, through a "volunteer" process, within these forums. ( heck, 95% of my "posting count" has been in questions, problems, and concerns, but I try to help too :D )

Welcome to the "free" OS side, and hope your install goes good :)
Ms. Cuddles