PDA

View Full Version : Help with HDD install

powerman5000
10-17-2004, 07:01 PM
Well, I am trying to install Knoppix 3.4 on my old 300 MHz computer with 64 MB of RAM. Last weekend I successfully installed Red Hat 9, I believe, but it ran really slow. Whenever I pop in the Knoppix cd it runs fairly well, so I thought I would give it a shot. Anyways, I have a 256 MB(probably overkill) DOS partition --hda1--, which includes the SWAP that linux won't start without due to my low amount of memory. Then, I have a 3000 MB linux partition --hda2-- and a 256 MB linux swap partition --hda5--. All that was created through cfdisk. My problem is when I go to install knoppix...It says the requirements aren't fulfilled. WTF? I have about 3 GB for the linux install, which only requires 2 GB and I have a 256 MB for the linux swap, which only needs 128 MB. I have tried everything to get around this, but it won't work. The closest I have got to the install was by using "IGNORE_CHECK=1 sudo knoppix-installer" and then when it got to the formatting part it said it did not have permission or something. Is there any way I can format this before going into the install? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Cuddles
10-17-2004, 11:06 PM
You might want to view another "thread" that was going on in General Forum, they had the same issue, and message, you report...

I can't install Knoppix on my HD (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14012&highlight=)

Even though the initial issue was in installing Knoppix v3.6, the resolve was from a Knoppix v3.4 system, and yes, the resolve was by myself, as well...

To summarize, it appears the installer has problems if the format isnt already in place, and the resolve is to "manually" do that format before the installer is used. cfdisk only partitions the disk, it does not format it ( as a side note ) -=- considering this resolve is 1 for 1, currently, it cant hurt to see if it goes 2 for 2 :D

powerman5000
10-18-2004, 03:35 AM
Thanks Cuddles! That allowed me to format the HDD. However, when I go into the install it says "choose partitions to format with swap" and it shows the partition that I have set up for the swap. When I click next it says my requirements aren't fulfilled again :x After that wouldn't work I just used the "IGNORE_CHECK=1 sudo knoppix-installer" command again, but when it got to the end it says "do you want to proceed with these parameters." So, I click yes and it tries to format the HDD even though it is already formatted. The error message says formatting failed and when I click ok it just takes me back to the installation main menu. Any advice?

shah
10-18-2004, 10:10 AM
Delete all the partition and create new one.
Try using cfdisk to create partitions.
After partition is created,reboot and run knoppix-installer.
Knoppix-installer will always reformat your hard disk.
The importnt part is creating partition.

If above doesn't work, try get other third party partition manager.
Or get ultimate boot cd, comes with plenty of tools :
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

firebyrd10
10-19-2004, 02:49 AM
You could always try qtparted which auto formats.

Markus
10-19-2004, 07:18 AM
Try choosing reiserfs instead of ext3.

powerman5000
10-21-2004, 03:01 AM
I tried everything mentioned, but have still had no luck :( My main problem is that even after re-partitioning and re-formatting, it still wants to format right before it gets ready to install :x When it tries to do that it says it doesn't have permission or something and that formatting failed. I guess I'll just keep booting it off the cd. Thanks anyways everyone!

Slack
05-27-2005, 06:57 AM
I am having the same problem.

Symptom: When installing "Auditor Installation HDD Install" (This is a Knop Live distro), it prompts me to format my hard disk. After using the referenced partician wizard, and formatting correctly, it does not recognize the free space.

I just tried using ReiserFS, as I saw posted above, and it worked.

Thanks.