PDA

View Full Version : Boot

Cydo
10-18-2004, 03:46 AM
Hey, there wasn't a Windows section, so I didn't know where to put this. I am currently on Windows XP Home Edition. I burned a Knoppix CD so that I can boot up from the CD and use it without my family getting pissed at me for installing Linux. When I switched it in the BIOS so that CD-rom is loaded first, this is what happened.

Here is exactly what it said:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.
If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectantly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.
If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

Can anyone help me with this? After I switched the BIOS so that the CD-Rom went first, this is what it looked like ...

Boot Mode
1.) CD-Rom
2.) +Hardware
3.) +Something I don't know
4.) Networking something or another

I think there is supposed to be a prompt on the screen for me to press any key to continue, that sort of thing, but it just goest straight to the screen I typed out for you up above. Thanks :oops:

CrashedAgain
10-18-2004, 05:41 AM
Hey, there wasn't a Windows section, so I didn't know where to put this. I am currently on Windows XP Home Edition. I burned a Knoppix CD so that I can boot up from the CD and use it without my family getting pissed at me for installing Linux. When I switched it in the BIOS so that CD-rom is loaded first, this is what happened.

Here is exactly what it said:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.
If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectantly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.
If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

Can anyone help me with this? After I switched the BIOS so that the CD-Rom went first, this is what it looked like ...

Boot Mode
1.) CD-Rom
2.) +Hardware
3.) +Something I don't know
4.) Networking something or another

I think there is supposed to be a prompt on the screen for me to press any key to continue, that sort of thing, but it just goest straight to the screen I typed out for you up above. Thanks :oops:

I assume you let Windows start normally, did it start OK?
Usually when Windows gets upset by a change such as this it does this 'start in safe mode' thing for the next startup then adjusts itself & subsequent boots are OK. Same thing happens if it shuts down without exiting properly for example from a power failure....that is if you're lucky...if you're not, it shuts down so messed up it won't restart & it's help recover my files time.

Cydo
10-18-2004, 05:49 AM
What? So how do I get Knoppix to load up?

drb
10-18-2004, 12:27 PM
With my MB (Asus nForce 1) I didn't change my BIOS settings - I press <escape> during power up - this brings up a choice of HDs or CD or DVD to boot off - cursor to CD drive and the liveCd will boot rather than Windows.

drb

OErjan
10-18-2004, 05:34 PM
i can do the same using F8 or del om my computers (del on the laptop)

Cydo
10-19-2004, 03:02 AM
Yeah, at first I also didn't switch the order in the BIOS, but it would still only load Windows. Can't figure this out! :oops: