PDA

View Full Version : Linux newb with troubles

STF
10-18-2004, 06:13 AM
Alrighty then I have been useing Knoppix for about a week and have yet to figure out two main issues. I have searched google and this board for help. Maybe I am stupid but I could really use some advice.

pertinent hardware specs:

MOBO: P4P800 delux asus
Sound Card: is integrated Soundmax audio I have no Idea what type other
other than that.
NIC: uses linux driver 3c2000.o driver

ISSUE 1: I have downloaded the appropriate sound driver , I have unpacked
iboth it and the tar inside the zip. I opened the terminal from the file
and tried about a dozen different ways folks have told me to get
the driver built. so far I CANT SEEM TO GET IT TO MAKE RIGHT and
and I am about to pull my hair out. all I have managed is to run
the configure script but thats about as far as I have managed to get

ISSUE 2: I have managed to get the driver to build for this device but I cant seem to get knoppix to load it either from a floppy (which I am haveing random troubles with) nore from the HD partition I set up for it on my comp. can anybody help?

thanks for any help i truely appreciate any advice you can give. I am pulling my hair out (and my wife is starting to give me those "I am calling a psychiatrist" looks)

eon
10-18-2004, 03:37 PM
Try "lsmod|grep sound" in a shell/terminal and see if your sound is indeed recognized
(note the vertical line i.e. pipe symbol is produced by typing "shift key plus the \ key).
If it is then you might try alsamixer to see if the sound is muted (you may need to set the volume levels).
KDE has a sound and devices GUI in the system menu which can be used to test sound after you make changes.
If nothing works up to this point try doing
"/etc/init.d/alsa restart" or /etc/init.d/alsa -autoconfig" in a terminal.
If none of that works just copy and paste the error messages to this thread. Good Luck!

STF
10-18-2004, 10:08 PM
Try "lsmod|grep sound" in a shell/terminal and see if your sound is indeed recognized
(note the vertical line i.e. pipe symbol is produced by typing "shift key plus the \ key).
If it is then you might try alsamixer to see if the sound is muted (you may need to set the volume levels).
KDE has a sound and devices GUI in the system menu which can be used to test sound after you make changes.
If nothing works up to this point try doing
"/etc/init.d/alsa restart" or /etc/init.d/alsa -autoconfig" in a terminal.
If none of that works just copy and paste the error messages to this thread. Good Luck!

thanks gonna try that will post errors if it doesnt work (hopefully screen caps)

STF
10-18-2004, 10:58 PM
alrighty then,"lsmod|grep" worked in that it showed a sound driver loaded. but as to alsamixer..........knoppix claims there is no such animal either on disk or on partition.

um maybe I am stupid but where is alsamixer supposed to be?

oh and does anybody know how to get a driver to load from a partition ? I have the NIC driver I need made but I have no Idea how to get kknoppix to recognize it on the hd partition where it is saved (and yes it is a linux partitionn)

eon
10-19-2004, 02:44 AM
I'm not sure it this will work for you-but you might want to download a fix script for alsa "fix-alsa-kanotix.sh" from http://kanotix.com/files/
You would then open a shell and excute the script as root i.e type "sh fix-alsa-kanotix.sh"
Hope that works.