PDA

View Full Version : Silly Floppy Question

brianfay
10-18-2004, 06:00 PM
I have a computer to which I have installed Knoppix (to the hard drive) and though I know that I should probably go on a Debian forum to find this out, I have the feeling that the answer is so obvious that someone here will know it immediately. Here goes:

On the KDE desktop there is an icon for a Floppy disk. When I click on it, with a disk in the drive, I get the following error message:

"Unalbe to run the command specified. The file or directory file:/mnt/floppy does not exist."

I have worked around this by creating a separate floppy icon through right clicking on the desktop and choosing New Floppy Device. However, two problems: One, to find the floppy I have to tell people to navigate to /mnt/floppy2 (which is tough for Windows folks to remember and hard to explain) and two, it truncates all of the file names.

On my system at home (this one is at school) I've never had a problem with this. It reads Windows disks and disks with only stuff saved while using Linux.

Is there an easy fix? If so, what is it?

Thanks in advance.

--
Brian

OErjan
10-18-2004, 06:19 PM
remove the icons, make a new icon or rename the working one to whatever you want (just leftklick and properties).
same with the directories.
you could move the mountpiont to /floppy if you wish, just edit in /etc/fstab (textfile).
the line should look something like this (from memory so...) if you want it mounted on /floppy (make the dir /floppy first as root)

/dev/fd0 /floppy auto noauto,owner 0 0
it might be reset on reboot as some variants of knopix installs do that, ask again

brianfay
10-18-2004, 07:50 PM
Thank you for the advice. I'll give it a shot.
--
Brian

brianfay
10-18-2004, 08:07 PM
It worked. I had to change "owner" to "user" in order for anyone to have acess to the floppy, but otherwise, everything is dandy. Thank you again.
--
Brian