PDA

View Full Version : The first pc I can't boot with knoppix. It was destined ....

ktheking
10-18-2004, 08:44 PM
I work at a helpdesk of big firm ,and do some work aside.
So you can say I'va had a LOT of different hardware going trough my hands.Going from laptops to desktops.
But now in these 2 years I know knoppix I've encountered the first pc I can't start with knoppix.

And the winner is : :evil: :evil: HP Pavillion a540.be :evil: :evil:

The reason : crappy BIOS ! Thank you HP !

This is the most restricted BIOS ever seen.
I've tried the popular issues : change screenmode,

The screen doesn't even come to the first line of hardware detection.
Directly after vmlinuz has decompressed ,the pc freezes on a black screen.
Even failsafe doesn't work...
Anyone an idea ?

ktheking
10-18-2004, 09:04 PM
:idea: :idea: I got it :idea: :idea:

It is the bootmanager which is used from the version 3.4 (and beyond) which gives problems for this pc.
I've encountered this only once and it was with a special mini-itx epia motherboard (where everything is on the board,cpu,sound,lan,tv-out,etc).

I believe version 3.1,3.2 and 3.3 it was lilo which was used.=>this works :P

And from version 3.4 on it is Grub which is used.=>this doesn't work :cry:

And frustrating is that on the previous versions of knoppix 3.1 3.2 3.3 I can't mount an NTFS partition in write (ntfs captive).
Since this is one of the newest pc's I think we could have problem with the newest pc's rolling out to the grand public (which are mainly brand buying people). So if anyone knows Klaus ,you could say him this : I think a lot of people would be greatfull if there were a an extra choice at boot
Use Lilo or Grub ....

Anyone an idea how to use lilo boot (instead of grub) with knoppix 3.4 and beyond ?

Axiomatico
11-01-2004, 12:53 PM
Well you seem to be a Linux master, and better!! it seems that you can make boot everithing, well hereīs a real challenge:

Iīve got a Pcchips 748 LMRT mobo (all onboard Puaj!!) with 128 Mb of RAM, Hd 8 Gb Samsung 5400 RPM, Samsung cd-r, Sony (lite-on) Cd-rw, Intel chipset modem 56K I think itīs a winmodem, cause it needs drivers to work in W$ mill edit.

Iīve tried Knoppix 3.3 first, but i canīt reach even the part when it puts:

Welcome to knoppix live-on-cd!!

Iīve been booting using this lines:

Knoppix vga=normal screen=800x600 mem=120M (my mobo shares 8Mb) noscsi noapm noapic acpi=off

Nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I thought it was the scsi emulation, so iīve download the 3.6 version in orther to use the 2.6 kernell, and I can only reach the part WELCOME TO....................

The cd is OK it works in EVERY computer exept mine.

I donīt use vga=normal Anymore, cause I can see tux when it starts. I just donīt know what to do.

ANY SUGEST!!!!!???????????????????

THANKS IN ADVANCE

ORION

ASK EVERITHING I WILL ANSWER!!!!!