PDA

View Full Version : Can only log on as Root

Amdmhz
10-18-2004, 09:27 PM
Hi all... I installed Knoppix last week for the first time and it never asked me to setup a standard user., so now everytime I restart my system I am alway logged on as root. I have added users but whenever I end a session so that I can log on as that user it automatically logs on as root. So I am stumped. I know it is not a smart idea to be logged on as root, so I am really trying to fix this. Could someone give me a pointer on how to fix this?

Thanks
Amdmhz

mzilikazi
10-18-2004, 11:41 PM
What kind of install did you do? I don't pretend to understand the multitude of installation types for Knoppix but presumably you would want a 'Debian' type install not whatever it is you did.

It would be nice if there was an explaination of the differences between the installation types somewhere. Maybe there is and I just haven't seen it.

Amdmhz
10-19-2004, 03:38 AM
Hi.. I tried to save settings in KDE Control Center .. But it does not seem like the settings stick. It still logs me on as root. The install type I did was "Just like Knoppix LiveCD".

Markus
10-19-2004, 07:23 AM
Here's some explanations: http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixInstaller

mzilikazi
10-23-2004, 04:21 PM
If you want a real Linux system do a 'Debian' type install not Knoppix.