PDA

View Full Version : Sharing /swp

didymos
10-19-2004, 03:46 PM
Hi,

I Hd-installed Knoppix 3.6 on a refurbed Pentium III/550 with existing Win98. The setup is:

/hda1 Win98 (~2Gb)
/hda5 Linux (~4Gb)
/hda6 Swap (~256kb)

I had similar problems regarding partitioning and had to cfdisk and mkfs.ext3 and mkswp by hand. Which was before I came across this forum... (!) :-P Anyway, I digress!

I am planning in the hopefully not to distant future to have a go at "Linux from scratch" (cf. www.linuxfromscratch.org ), in order to learn the ins and outs of Linux, and perhaps, who knows?, even get a perfectly working end result! (Call me eager! ;-) )

I'm just wondering if I could use the existing Knoppix /swp partition when booting into another Linux implementation (e.g. Debian, SuSE, or LFS for that matter!)

If I can't do this, is there a quick way to split my /hda6 into two, or would I have to delete /swp, repartition the current /hda6 into two pieces and then install two separate /swp areas.

Hope someone can help,

Many thanks,

Tom

mzilikazi
10-19-2004, 07:36 PM
I'm just wondering if I could use the existing Knoppix /swp partition when booting into another Linux implementation (e.g. Debian, SuSE, or LFS for that matter!)

Of course you can. Linux swap is Linux swap period.

didymos
10-20-2004, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the clarification, mate! Wasn't 100% sure.