PDA

View Full Version : Faster Poormans Install

shaun
10-20-2004, 01:44 PM
Hi All,
I have been toying with Knoppix for a little while and would like to do a Poor Mans Install, is it possible to either:
Copy the files from the CD to an uncompressed format on the hard drive to reduce compression processing and so speed things up a little.
Or copy the data from the CD to a hard drive but with a compression factor of Zero this again would reduce processing power but would still mean that only one large file would need to be accessed?

The main reason for this is to speed up applications such as Open Office.

Thanks

Shaun

baldyeti
10-20-2004, 02:54 PM
I think it is safe to consider that modern processors can uncompress data faster than it would take to perform the extra IO an uncompressed image would require. Plus if you've got the space, why not go for a full HD install, and enjoy the wonders of debian...

shaun
10-21-2004, 08:35 AM
Thanks for that but I have by todays standards a slow old 600MHz Athelon, so I wondered how much overhead the decompression would be.

If I do a full install will I still get the same nice features such as Icons when USB devices are installed.

thanks

Shaun

stuart_b
10-21-2004, 09:10 PM
If I do a full install will I still get the same nice features such as Icons when USB devices are installed?

Do the "beginner's" (the default) install and you will. It's basically the old-style install but with the auto-detection stuff from the CD.

probono
10-22-2004, 12:07 AM
I am using poor man's even on a 400 Mhz PII and I think even there the compression _increases_ speed. Plus: easier upgrades (just exchange three files instead of thousands), unbreakable, autodetecion. I definitely would do a PMI if were you.

Greetings,
probono

garyng
10-23-2004, 12:01 PM
I am using poor man's even on a 400 Mhz PII and I think even there the compression _increases_ speed. Plus: easier upgrades (just exchange three files instead of thousands), unbreakable, autodetecion. I definitely would do a PMI if were you.

Greetings,
probono

Agree. Even better than a real HD install in most case. Performance may suffer a little bit but who care about that for a desktop system.