PDA

View Full Version : HP zv5000t...3.6 hangs on boot...

milkmood
10-20-2004, 03:26 PM
Boot gets to CD ROM /dev/scd0 and hangs. Any ideas?

I did notice it supports hyperthreading, that's awesome!

:roll:

milkmood
10-23-2004, 02:19 PM
I can get it to work if I use "failsafe" without "knoppix" before it, but that doesn't help detect any hardware.

Thanks in advance.

Harry Kuhman
10-23-2004, 07:55 PM
Boot gets to CD ROM /dev/scd0 and hangs. Any ideas?
:
I have an HP notebook (not that model) that used to boot Knoppix fine, but the same CD's will no longer boot on it. See these threads for that issue:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2117&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
and
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2164&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Also, I found that with newer versions of Knoppix I need some cheat codes or it hangs with a blank screen during the boot. If you are getting far enough to enter cheat codes (I can't tell quite how far you are getting from your post) try
knoppix noscsi acpi=offor
knoppix26 noscsi acpi=off

milkmood
10-25-2004, 06:09 PM
Sorry, I was a little vague in my original post.

I can get it to boot to the boot screen where I can enter cheatcodes. I've tried several combinations of cheatcodes from the TXT file, and the only thing I can get to work is 'failsafe' without 'knoppix' in front of it.

If I boot any other way, it will begin to boot, it detects the firewire, usb, etc., then it lists the hard drive, the DVD-ROM drive. The next line says 'Looking for CD-ROM at /dev/scd0' or something like that. That's where it hangs.

It doesn't do me much good to boot into failsafe for detecting hardware. I'm ultimately needing it to detect my built in WiFi, and I can't even get to the point where it can detect it.

I'll try the two options above and let you know.

milkmood
10-25-2004, 06:29 PM
Here's exactly what I get after boot screen when I enter anything but 'failsafe':

2 Penguins (represents 2 processors - thanks to hyperthreading)

A bunch of initializing texts - sorry, I don't know what any of it means, but it's too much to type here.

Then I get the following:

Welcome to the KNOPPIX live Linux-on-CD (KNOPPIX is multi-colored)

Scanning for USB/Firewire devices...done (it scans for several other things, but it finishes with this)
Enabling DMA acceleration for: hda [TOSHIBA MK8026GAX] (That's my hard drive)
Enabling DMA acceleration for: hdc [SD-R2512] (That's my DVD-ROM drive)
Looking for CDROM in: /dev/scd0

Then the cursor blinks for a few seconds, the DVD-ROM drive works for a second, then the cursor disappears and it hangs indefinitely there.

Thanks.

jamierytlewski
10-26-2004, 07:02 PM
knoppix26 apm=off nolapic noscsi acpi=on

I had a very similar problem, and the nolapic has something to do with detecting mulitple processors. On the computers I have tried it on, they always show up two processors even though there is only one. On my laptop, I am running an AMD 2200 and things are working good. You do want to make sure you put in acpi=on though because otherwise your laptop will probably overheat.

Lemme know if this help.

Jamie

milkmood
10-26-2004, 07:28 PM
...that's the whole point of hyperthreading. It fools the OS into thinking there are two processors, thus enabling it to run more efficiently. I'll try your boot options now, too, and let you know what happens.

jamierytlewski
10-26-2004, 07:38 PM
But it wasn't just CPU's with HyperThreading that showed up with two. It was my friends Pentium4m that also showed up this way.