PDA

View Full Version : alias entry disappears between boots

GaTk
10-20-2004, 06:37 PM
I want to use an alias for ndiswrapper (every character I type is one more chance for an error<<<GG>>>)

I type .... alias zz=''modprobe ndiswrapper' and the entry is displayed with

alias -p. It also works when I type zz. However after a re-boot the entry is no longer in the list. What am I missing ??

Thanks

Ted in Atlanta

mzilikazi
10-20-2004, 08:42 PM
I add aliases to ~/.bashrc but if you're booting to live cd then that probably won't work but you could script 'modprobe ndiswrapper' and it would get ran at boot time.

GaTk
10-27-2004, 04:53 PM
I have posted in /etc/bashrc where all of the aliias entries are listed. They won't stay over a reboot. There are no alias entries in my /.bashrc file.... just some one cryptic LINUXese.... This doesn;t work on Knoppix 3.4 or 3.7 so I am missing something.

Ted in Atlanta

mzilikazi
10-27-2004, 08:00 PM
Sounds like you did a Knoppix or beginner type install instead of a Debian type install. In that case I *think* it overwrites any changes you make to certain files like /etc/bashrc.

Why not simply make a script? For example:

echo modprobe ndiswrapper > zz
chmod +x zz
su
mv zz /usr/sbin

Then you can simply run your script from wherever you like.

GaTk
10-28-2004, 01:34 AM
mzilikazi

Thanks for the code.... I'll sure give it a try. This incident is just another example of the vagaries of LINUX. It is really frustrating to receive code and/or suggestions that work that work for one system and flops on another...

FWIW... I used knoppix-installer on both 3.4 and 3.7 selecting choice 3 which supposedly is the Debian installl

Thanks again

Ted in Atlanta

Markus
10-28-2004, 08:48 AM
The aliases are at the end of /etc/profile where you can add your own as well.

mzilikazi
10-28-2004, 01:40 PM
mzilikazi

Thanks for the code.... I'll sure give it a try. This incident is just another example of the vagaries of LINUX.

It is really frustrating to receive code and/or suggestions that work that work for one system and flops on another...

It's a common misconception that Linux is an operating system. It is not. It's a kernel. Debian GNU Linux is an operating system that uses the Linux kernel and what works on Debian may very well not work on Red Hat.

I also see the same issues in windows. One system gets the latest updates no problem while another system identical in hardware and OS version cannot seem to complete the updates without some coaxing or tweaking. I would also rather suffer the trivial difficulties associated with Linux then the multitude of problems that follow M$ around. There are no pieces of spyware, no viruses and no trojans on my Linux boxes. I do not download windows freeware, install any windows apps that I do not check out 100%, never open attatchments and yet the windows boxes get malware on them. Well......this post is not about windows versus Linux and I do not intend on making it so.

It is really frustrating to receive code and/or suggestions that work that work for one system and flops on another...

~/.bashrc is a user specific configuration file. Anything you add to /etc/profile is systemwide. I do not know why it doesn't work for you - it does for me on all of my boxes.

Markus
10-28-2004, 02:35 PM
~/.bashrc is a user specific configuration file. Anything you add to /etc/profile is systemwide. You're right, never actually gave it much thought as I like having my own aliases for root + all users.

GaTk
10-28-2004, 06:10 PM
BINGO !!! etc/profile does it ,,,after a reboot... the new additions work and
now appear with alias -p. You gurus continue to amaze me with your knowledge/experience but I hope you understand the wide variations from one distro to the other constantly drive us novices NUTS !!!

Thanks

mzilikazi
10-28-2004, 08:52 PM
I hope you understand the wide variations from one distro to the other constantly drive us novices NUTS !!!

Thanks

Well quit messing about with those other unworthy distros and just use Debian. ;) You'll not be sorry.

mzilikazi
10-28-2004, 08:53 PM
I hope you understand the wide variations from one distro to the other constantly drive us novices NUTS !!!

Thanks

Glad you got it working.

Well quit messing about with those other unworthy distros and just use Debian. ;) You'll not be sorry.

Markus
10-28-2004, 10:43 PM
BINGO !!! etc/profile does it ,,,after a reboot... the new additions work and
now appear with alias -p. You gurus continue to amaze me with your knowledge/experience but I hope you understand the wide variations from one distro to the other constantly drive us novices NUTS !!!

Thanks Heh, I'm at least faaaaar from being a guru :)
BTW, if you want to have aliases for one user only you can create a file named .profile in the users home directory and add them there.

Well quit messing about with those other unworthy distros and just use Debian. Wink You'll not be sorry. I agree. Besides, distrohopping is nice but not very productive.