PDA

View Full Version : REALLY NEED HELP!

4lien
10-20-2004, 07:45 PM
When I am starting Knoppix, which boots from my HDD, it hangs during the initialization sequence at the line that reads - "Starting up syslogd", but don't quote me on that line, not exacly sure what it says (Ha!).. If you can help me with this, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Stumped Knoppix Novice User

SaintBlue
10-20-2004, 08:02 PM
How does your configuration file for syslogdaemon look like?
i.e. does the directory where it should write its file to exist? Is it a Linux writeable filesystem type?
so long, SaintBlue

UnderScore
10-20-2004, 09:48 PM
The following steps are used to get around the broken syslogd. These steps will only cirumvent the problem and will not figure out why syslogd is hanging.
Boot using Knoppix CD. I assume that you have Knoppix installed on hda2. Either mount hda2 by hand in a root console or use the icon on the desktop. Open a root console or gain root acess with the command

# su -
Then find out which runlevel is the default runlevel

# grep defa /mnt/hda2/etc/inittab
id:3:initdefault:
The number 3 is the default runlevel. Enter the default runlevel's rc.d directory and find the sysklogd link.

#cd /mnt/hda2/etc/rc3.d
#ls *log*
S10sysklogd S11klogd
Take note of and write down the number of the sysklogd, in this case it is 10. Next, remove S10sysklogd which is just a link (really a shortcut that points to another file).

# rm S10sysklogd
With that done, cd to / and either reboot with the command or use the K menu to reboot the PC.
# shutdown now -r

I hope this helps.
James

4lien
10-23-2004, 02:59 PM
Perfect, thanks! One more thing though, when I go to remove the file, in my case S10sysklogd in rc5.d, it gives me the "Read-Onlly File-system" error. I am running off of the cd. I tried right-clicking on the hda1 icon on the desktop, and taking off the read-only attribute and also setting the permissions to read and write but still I cannot remove the file. Thanks again!

4lien
10-23-2004, 03:31 PM
Okay, apparently I'm a complete moron and I had to do that before mounting the drive. So, I tried rebooting after removing the file, and everything is working again!!! You are my hero lol.. I can now stop taking these blood pressure pills.

=)