PDA

View Full Version : nvidia & audigy integrated drivers

Yakumo
03-26-2003, 05:53 PM
please please please please, I can't see why nvidia would object at all to their latest officially released drivers being included as some people have suggested, nvidia cards are so common it would just be a godsend for it to detect them and install nvidias properly accelerated drivers.

as for audigy, my audigy 2 simply doesn't work with knoppix atm :p :(

I dont have a gig of ram, so i can't remaster knoppix myself + tbh my linux knowledge wouldn't stretch anywhere near that far yet :(

i would have put ATI in the poll but they dont appear to have any linux drivers on their website...

jtally
03-27-2003, 02:58 AM
I can't see why nvidia would object either but there must be some reason that I've never seen a distro with nvidia opengl drivers included.

Fabianx
03-28-2003, 07:50 PM
nvidias license clearly states that is is forbidden to use it then for redistribution, but knoppix is redistributable and shall remain it ...

However for audigy 2 and other ac97-codecs there is a solution shining at the sky ...

... alsa ...

but there needs to be some option, that it is only autodetected on demand to not have some drivers crash or freeze the system ...

cu

Fabian

Yakumo
03-28-2003, 09:42 PM
nvidia dont mind their linux drivers being redistributed

"Alex was able to include the Nvidia drivers because of the "linux exception" in Nvidia's license.

"2.1.2 Linux Exception. Notwithstanding the foregoing terms of Section 2.1.1, SOFTWARE designed exclusively for use on the Linux operating system may be copied and redistributed, provided that the binary files thereof are not modified in any way (except for unzipping of compressed files)."

The nice thing about this is anyone can include them. The entire license is <a href ="http://nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=nv_swlicense"> here</a>"

Fabianx
03-28-2003, 10:56 PM
nvidia dont mind their linux drivers being redistributed

"Alex was able to include the Nvidia drivers because of the "linux exception" in Nvidia's license.

"2.1.2 Linux Exception. Notwithstanding the foregoing terms of Section 2.1.1, SOFTWARE designed exclusively for use on the Linux operating system may be copied and redistributed, provided that the binary files thereof are not modified in any way (except for unzipping of compressed files)."

The nice thing about this is anyone can include them. The entire license is <a href ="http://nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=nv_swlicense"> here</a>"

I'm sorry. I contacted Klaus and this won't work for knoppix.

- First: Its an binary driver that taints the kernel. (ideologic reason)

- Second: Klaus modifies the binary files (compress them into cloop). (legal reason)

- Third: People that copy the CD and redistribute it had to agree to this license and that he can't persuade all of them to do so ..

- 4th: License is contraproductive to the work of XFree-Team. He can't support that.

cu

Fabian

aay
03-28-2003, 11:03 PM
nvidias license clearly states that is is forbidden to use it then for redistribution

Fabian,

I'm not so sure this is true. You might want to check out the license agreement which appears to include a "linux exception."

"Linux Exception. Notwithstanding the foregoing terms of Section 2.1.1, SOFTWARE designed exclusively for use on the Linux operating system may be copied and redistributed, provided that the binary files thereof are not modified in any way (except for unzipping of compressed files)."

Would making them available to the kernel violate this agreement?

The entire license agreement is here: http://nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=nv_swlicense

ansalmo
03-30-2003, 02:01 PM
What about the other NVidia drivers (e.g. NForce ethernet), as these are distributed in source form. I'd love my NForce motherboard to be fully supported out of the box. I'm not bothered about graphics, as nv is sufficient for my needs.

Yakumo
04-05-2003, 04:16 AM
can't beleive it, 173 people viewed the post, and ony SEVEN SODDING VOTES!!!?!?!?

IoN_PuLse
04-05-2003, 10:08 AM
Audigy cards are detected, there just aren't any drivers included to use :D

And you can't include the Nvidia accelerated drivers, so sorry.

Yakumo
04-05-2003, 10:22 AM
says who, read that license agreement mentioned above? the linux exception?

as for audigy, aaccording to other posts the new ALSA drivers which support it shoudl be included fairly soon, someons aleady done an instal lscript so you can have them with a persistent home directory =)

Fabianx
04-05-2003, 04:08 PM
says who, read that license agreement mentioned above? the linux exception?

as for audigy, aaccording to other posts the new ALSA drivers which support it shoudl be included fairly soon, someons aleady done an instal lscript so you can have them with a persistent home directory =)

yep :-)

/me did this ... :-)

But you can also use them and even better with saveconfig :-)

Just wanted to mention that.

cu

Fabian

PS: Scripts are ready and sent out, its up to Klaus when to include it.

probono
04-06-2003, 05:12 AM
Perhaps I'm just too stupid, but what for do I need Nvidia drivers? I am using a Nvidia TNT2 just fine with plain Knoppix. (In contrast, the newest Morpix with integrated Nvidia drivers crashes the X server...)

ansalmo
04-06-2003, 11:15 AM
Perhaps I'm just too stupid, but what for do I need Nvidia drivers? I am using a Nvidia TNT2 just fine with plain Knoppix. (In contrast, the newest Morpix with integrated Nvidia drivers crashes the X server...)

The nvidia graphics driver provides accelerated 3D, whereas the nv driver doesn't (though it seems fine for 2D). But on top of that, there are drivers available to support Nvidia's nForce motherboards (net, audio). The net driver was the one I was most interested in.

lars
04-20-2003, 06:53 PM
An install script for nvidia drivers would be nice.
I've read the forums but have not managed to install the drivers.
Here's a working script for Debian 3.0 stable:
http://www.linuks.mine.nu/conf/nvidia/
:roll: