PDA

View Full Version : Need Base Install

Tech2k
11-14-2002, 10:12 AM
Ok I have remastered Knoppix as well as made a "shirt pocket" edition by re-remastering "Kix".Now I am ready to really put some thought in to the question "what would be my dream cd" and get to work first on a mini then on a standard 700meg cd.I wont get long winded about it here (but do on my homepage) so here is my question :

Does anyone have a package list for a knoppix "base install"? I would like to start with only the bare minimum bootable live Knoppix base and then add what I want.Wouldnt that be cool to have a live base with basic network/ppp apt and cloop so when we remaster we dont have to remove anything but instead can just add the packages we want and make our disk.

Another option is to start with the debian woody mini-iso but its not live and dont have cloop and just aint Knoppix.I think I can make it live with the debian package called "bootcd" but it still wont be a bootable compressed fs so we couldnt pack much into a mini.Even a bootable Knoppix text console only would be cool if it had apt and cloop with a boot image to boot the compressed fs along with an optional install to hdd script.

Is anyone instersted in helping build such a base cd or am all alone here.I am going to do this but it will take much longer alone.

Ken

A. Jorge Garcia
11-14-2002, 10:09 PM
What I need is a bootable CD like KNOPPIX with all the autodetects + the Java SDK programmers' package (java, javac, appletviewer, etc.) for linux! I need this next year to teach AP Computer Science. I use BigSlack Slackware now to teach with g++.

Regards,

andrej
11-14-2002, 11:49 PM
Hi,
I've just created a java knoppix, with sun jdk 1.4.1, and eclipse with aspectj, jadeclipse, and jalopy plugins (and squirreldb for database querying).
I've you have some space I could upload it.
Andrej

A. Jorge Garcia
11-16-2002, 04:17 PM
OOO, you have remastered KNOPPIX and added JDK?

Just curious, what did you have to remove to get JDK to fit?

Can you put a copy of your *.ISO on a CD and mail it to me so I can burn my own demos? I need to convince my boss that this is the way to go for next year's Computer Science class!

I'll pay you whatever you think is fair via paypal, just let me know.

I don't have your email adress, so can you contact me off list? My email address is calcpage@lycos.com.

TIA!

MJRehrig
04-24-2005, 09:40 PM
I would also like something like this. Does anybody know if I could find a bare-bones Knoppix anywhere?. It would just make it ALOT easier if I could just install stuff instead of having to remove stuff and then install the programs that I want.

nelsongs
04-24-2005, 11:56 PM
Have you checked Morphix? I think it fits very close to what you are looking for. I've worked with it and think it is a terrific idea since it has the minimun necessary for booting a liveCD, detect all your hardware, take care of the configurations stuff, etc.. in one very small base compressed image. Then you build your customization onto a new module, called mainmodule. If you burn your cd using multisession, you can even add new modules in the future, without having to do it from the beginning. It's available at http://www.morphix.org.
Cheers!

MJRehrig
04-25-2005, 09:32 PM
Thank you very much. It turns out that I already have a copy of Morphix downloaded, I have already ran it as a live CD, I like, etc... I guess I just never realised that it could be easily "Morphed".

Thanks again, I will definitely be checking this out