PDA

View Full Version : knoppix support for netgear FA311 ethernet card???

Aligard
10-22-2004, 03:57 AM
Knoppix doesnt seem to detect my ethernet card.. I can't find a database of devices that knoppix supports so I don't know if that's the case either. I am completly new to linux so could someone give me a step by step explanation to configuring my network card to work with knoppix, or any *nix flavor for that matter. I am using knoppix 3.6 if that helps ^ ^

shah
10-22-2004, 01:01 PM
You could try using natsemi driver.
Open root konsole and run command:
modprobe natsemi.ko
update-modules

Reboot and run netcardconfig.

:D :D

Aligard
10-22-2004, 04:37 PM
and natsemi is supported in 3.6? I heard that it was removed from future releases.. but this I will try. Thanx and Ill get back to you if it does or does not work :lol:

Aligard
10-22-2004, 08:30 PM
I've tried and it can't find the driver... which concretes the fact that natsemi is not supported in 3.6. I'm going to dig around and try and find one... or just break down and buy another SUPPORTED nework card. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated

Harry Kuhman
10-22-2004, 09:29 PM
and natsemi is supported in 3.6? I heard that it was removed from future releases......:
Not sure what you heard was removed. There are likely more than one Nat Semi chip, so this may not apply, but my Nat Semi DP83815 based NIC built into my notebook does still work with the newest Knoppix posted (either kernel) ... with a qualification: I worked just fine with Knoppix 3.1 over a year and a half ago. Then I accepted an XP "security update". After that I found that the NIC would no longer work, using the very same Knoppix CD's that worked before! After a good deal of fooling around with it I came up with some work arounds; either resetting the card after Knoppix was booted with mii-tool -r and then doing a netcardconfig again, or using a cheat cope at boot time. With more recent versions of Knoppix I have had to use two cheat codes at boot time (Knoppix would just hang with a blank screen without them), and with these the NIC comes up and connects properly, so I don't use the reset technique any more. The cheat codes I use are
knoppix acpi=off noscsior
knoppix26 acpi=off noscsi
You can find more details about the problem of the NIC no longer working after an "ungrade" here:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2117&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
and
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2164&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Other users have seen this too.