PDA

View Full Version : Nessus problem on Knoppix 3.2

joeldd
03-26-2003, 06:25 PM
I am having a problem with the new distribution of stable version of knoppix V3.2 (3/21b/2003). I have checked the FAQs and documentation on both the knoppix site and on the nessus site.

When I launch Nessus from the KDE menu (System, Nessus) it does not login when I supply the correct username/password (knoppix/knoppix).

Instead it gives me the error:
"Could not open a connection to the remote host"

All my configuration settings in nessus are default
(to run nessusd and nessus on the same system).
I have a valid network connection as I can use the Internet.
I can ping myself successfully as both 127.0.0.1 and localhost.

I am wondering if the "nessusd" security server is not starting first in the script.

Any suggestions on where I can look to investigate or solve this problem?

Thank you in advance,

Joel Desrochers
joelgroup@hotmail.com

CubeDweller
03-26-2003, 10:18 PM
Joel,

I do not have the 03/21 version of Knoppix anymore, but Nessus is working fine on my 03/24 version.

Try this: Start the Nessus client, then open up a root shell and type 'ps -ef | grep nessusd'. This command will search running processes for any processes called 'nessusd. You should see at least one nessusd process.

If you do not see the nessusd process, try starting it manually by typing: /usr/sbin/nessusd

The nessusd program runs on TCP port 1241. To verify it is actually open, type 'nmap -p 1241 127.0.0.1'. This command will try to open a connection to the above port. If it says the port is open, your connection should work. If it says the port is still closed, you should probably try downloading the latest version of Knoppix.

Hope this helps.

CubeDweller

joeldd
03-28-2003, 03:28 AM
Thanks to all who tried to help.

The answer that worked for me was:

try to start nessus from system=>security=>nessus.