PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Difficulties

crizzlator
10-22-2004, 05:19 PM
Can anyone help me get my D-Link 520+ Airplus adapter to work, still new to Linux. A couple posts mentioned something about "NDISWRAPPER", what is and how do I use it?

grant_vallance
10-22-2004, 08:16 PM
I am a noob ... but ...

1. The D-link site, regarding the DWL-520+ and linux refers you to:

E.g. http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=357&question=General%20Wireless

refers you to:
http://acx100.sourceforge.net/

which in turn refers you to a place where you can get a native Linux driver under development.

2. Ndiswrapper
It is a program designed to 'wrap' Windows wireless card drivers so that Linux can use them.

To learn how to use it:

(a) become root; type: ndiswrapper -- there are no man pages for it, but just typing the command gives you the syntac for getting ndiswrapper to 'wrap' the requisite driver -- the command: modprobe ndiswrapper _after_ you have followed the instructions activates it;

(b) use the ndiswrapper script found in the Knoppix menu under Network/Internet -- follow the instructions (or work out how to do it).

(c) failing that there is a crude example of how ndiswrapper can be used to get a wireless card going by reading my post Success with Knoppix 3.6 and wireless networking; in the networking section. Its a sticky, so it should be easy to find.

HTH

Grant D. Vallance

OErjan
10-23-2004, 09:45 AM
sorry for the oftopic posting.
one of the things with these forums is that even a "noob" kan help, he/she/it only needs to have one tiny tiny bit of information more and be willing to share it to be able to help. great huh. even better is the feeling of helping others, that is why i am adicted to these forums.
to be honest, that and a sense of, eeeh, "guilt" for using these wonderful things that make a linux distribution for free and wanting to lighten the load of "guilt" by giving something back to the "comunity".
weird huh.

crizzlator
10-27-2004, 04:17 AM
Thanx for the info, I will put it to work and hopefully get the card working!