PDA

View Full Version : Install knoppix to primary slave

Jakykong
10-24-2004, 03:34 AM
Ok, i ran the knippix-installer after partitioning the primary SLAVE to a 1GB linux swap and a 15GB ext3 partition(there is still about 24GB non-partitioned space).

In the configure install section, where it asks for the drive to install it on, it lists only hda, not hdb1 where i want to install it! Two things:
1: CAN knoppix install onto the primary slave HD? If so, how?
2: Once it is installed, how do i boot from the primary slave OR the primary master?

I have windows 2k on the primary master and intend to keep it, i just want to be able to have knoppix on the slave(as a secondary OS).

If i MUST install windows 2000 AFTER knoppix, or format the primary master, i CAN, however, i would MUCH perfer NOT to, cause it's a LOT of work to set windows 2000 up again. But knoppix on the CD has enough functionality that i can take my time, Anyway...

Any (and ALL) help is GREATLY appreciated!

firebyrd10
10-24-2004, 04:44 AM
Ok, i ran the knippix-installer after partitioning the primary SLAVE to a 1GB linux swap and a 15GB ext3 partition(there is still about 24GB non-partitioned space).

In the configure install section, where it asks for the drive to install it on, it lists only hda, not hdb1 where i want to install it! Two things:
1: CAN knoppix install onto the primary slave HD? If so, how?
2: Once it is installed, how do i boot from the primary slave OR the primary master?

I have windows 2k on the primary master and intend to keep it, i just want to be able to have knoppix on the slave(as a secondary OS).

If i MUST install windows 2000 AFTER knoppix, or format the primary master, i CAN, however, i would MUCH perfer NOT to, cause it's a LOT of work to set windows 2000 up again. But knoppix on the CD has enough functionality that i can take my time, Anyway...

Any (and ALL) help is GREATLY appreciated!

Hmm, my knoppix cd finds the slave just fine and allows me to install it. Can you see the icon on the desk top for the partition? If you can, try setting up the install as normal picking a partition on your master. Then save the config and edit the drive section to your slave drive.
Then restart knoppix-installer and load the saved config that you edited.

Jakykong
10-24-2004, 05:01 AM
Yes, i can see it on the desktop, and i can browse it and write to it. Is the script set up to find ALL the partitions? If not, will it necessarily be able to install onto a slave partition?

Also, that MAY get it onto the hard drive, but the BIGGEST problem is how to select a drive to boot from. If i want windows, i want to boot from the master, if i want knoppix, i would boot from slave. I need to know how to do this.

I have a program to read and change boot sectors on disks. If i copy all the data on the CD to the HD and change to boot sector to that of the CD, it should "work." But the key is booting to the slave disk! once i know that, i can handle the rest of it with or without the installer script!

Jakykong
10-24-2004, 05:09 AM
Ok, never mind... i figured out the problem. the script showed me all the mounted disks. I hadnt mounted the hdb2 disk yet. Once i mounted it, it showed me only it and that is FINE with me since thats where i want it!

firebyrd10
10-24-2004, 06:20 AM
Grub will find the partition and add it.

*edited* I beleive lilo will also.

Jakykong
10-24-2004, 12:46 PM
Well, no matter... i didnt get a choice! Obvious problem... i wasnt the first person to run into it i guess :). Anyway, it edited the mbr to be lilo and that works just fine. Although i wish it would boot to windows by default instead of linux by default, cause windows does games :D. But no matter, i should be doing school instead.

Now i have another problem that probably doesent belong here but i'll ask it anyway since i have people attention on this topic :)

I downloaded several programs recently. the SDL libraries, and a couple games. So SuperTUX and the SDL libraries compiled and ran VERY smoothly. The other game i downloaded is a game called Anagramarama(a lot like a 16-bit windows 3.1 game that was on my 486 before i made it into a UNIX computer). Ok, so the method i use on my UNIX computer when there is no install script is to compile, make, then copy into the /usr/local/bin directory the executable, and the other files into the /usr/local/include directory. Works great on my UNIX computer, but that method did not work with anagramarama.

I also can't get it to start in the directory i compiled it to unless i issue it as a command from within the terminal. Which is annoying, i just want to click the program and get it going.

Opening it with the terminal after applying my UNIX methods didnt work.

So, my two questions are:
1: How do i install it without the install script like came with the other downloaded items?
2: Once installed, if it doesent work clicking on the file, how do i use the command line of konsole to rid myself of typing

Linux is probing to be a different beast from unix, so i'm probably going to have LOADS of questions until i get a little more used to it. As far as i can tell, my 3" thick book on UNIX is useless for learning Linux!

firebyrd10
10-24-2004, 07:14 PM
Well, no matter... i didnt get a choice! Obvious problem... i wasnt the first person to run into it i guess :). Anyway, it edited the mbr to be lilo and that works just fine. Although i wish it would boot to windows by default instead of linux by default, cause windows does games :D. But no matter, i should be doing school instead.

Now i have another problem that probably doesent belong here but i'll ask it anyway since i have people attention on this topic :)

I downloaded several programs recently. the SDL libraries, and a couple games. So SuperTUX and the SDL libraries compiled and ran VERY smoothly. The other game i downloaded is a game called Anagramarama(a lot like a 16-bit windows 3.1 game that was on my 486 before i made it into a UNIX computer). Ok, so the method i use on my UNIX computer when there is no install script is to compile, make, then copy into the /usr/local/bin directory the executable, and the other files into the /usr/local/include directory. Works great on my UNIX computer, but that method did not work with anagramarama.

I also can't get it to start in the directory i compiled it to unless i issue it as a command from within the terminal. Which is annoying, i just want to click the program and get it going.

Opening it with the terminal after applying my UNIX methods didnt work.

So, my two questions are:
1: How do i install it without the install script like came with the other downloaded items?
2: Once installed, if it doesent work clicking on the file, how do i use the command line of konsole to rid myself of typing

Linux is probing to be a different beast from unix, so i'm probably going to have LOADS of questions until i get a little more used to it. As far as i can tell, my 3" thick book on UNIX is useless for learning Linux!

0. You should have a file called liloconfig. Find and edit it to make windows your defualt boot. Then run lilo update.

1.Sounds like what you did was correct.
2.I've had nothing but problems trying to get a file to execute by clicking on it.Setting up a short cut in a menu however seems to work.

Jakykong
10-25-2004, 12:10 AM
yeah, tried putting a shortcut in the k menu... no difference from when i clicked on it in it's folder. I'm thinking that the solution lies in automating the terminal. I need to know 2 things to do that:

-using a shell script to change directories and execute a file
-activating a shell script with a shortcut

The second one is because i can't seem to get shell scripts to run by clicking on them. I just want the thing to start from the k menu no matter what i have to do to do that!