PDA

View Full Version : ALSA Audacity via82xx sample rate @ 48k not 44.1k?

stukennedyuk
10-24-2004, 12:03 PM
What I have been trying to do is record some of my old LPs so I can burn them to CD. After much struggling (and googling) with ALSA on my 2.6.6 kernel including getting the line-in to operate as a line-in, not a surround out (go to kmix and check on 'advanced' click to disable 'line-in as surround')., I still have a problem.

Audacity records with a sample rate of 48k, not the CD standard of 44.1k so when it plays back, it plays back more slowly. (The settings in Audacity make no difference). I cannot find a way to set the sound card to sample at 44.1k, however, I do note that dmesg has the following line:-

via82xx: Assuming DXS channels with 48k fixed sample rate.
Please try dxs_support=1 or dxs_support=4 option

Anyone any idea how I can tell it not to assume 48k!!!!

In the meantime I'll read everything I can on ALSA on the forum.

Many thanks! Stu.....

stukennedyuk
10-24-2004, 12:13 PM
Okay I read post:-

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8394

Does this mean it cannot be fixed?

Anyone know how to remove ALSA so I can go back to OSS, is this an option in 2.6.6?

Stu.....

Cuddles
10-24-2004, 06:47 PM
Stukennedyuk,

Considering that the thread you posted, was from my experiance, you might try to use ReZound - it can do a frequency "shift". From what I found out, is, that the VIA 82xxxx can only record from the 48KHz frequency, which is not a problem, until you want it to be played back at the 44.1KHz frequency...

Use ReZound to record the 48KHz source, then, after the recording, do a "frequency shift" to the 44.1KHz, and then save out your recording. This process worked for me, and from what I could tell, no adverse effects were detected from doing this.

From what I have learned, getting ALSA to work is painful enough, and I am quite sure you had to go through a lot to get it working as well. To "go back" is, from what I have learned, a no gain situation - the VIA soundcard is the problem. Maybe OSS can do the shifting "backgrounded", and may not be as much of a problem as it is in ALSA, but, the soundcard is the issue. Going back may require you to re-install, dont quote me on this, but ALSA can do what you want, considering you have it working.

Try ReZound - see if that works for you... If you want to go back, someone else may have an easier way, I dont, I am still using the ALSA...

Hope this helps,

stukennedyuk
10-25-2004, 12:11 PM
Thank you for coming back with a reply Cuddles. I'll try ReZound.

I did a couple of naughty things, I tried out the Window$ version of Audacity with the the onboard VIA82xx and it seems to work fine at 44.1k..... drat!

The other bad thing I did was break ALSA, so that OSS is back working. It doesn't support the onboard VIA so I plugged in an old es1370 sound card. (Okay that three things I did!) - I can now make my recordings.

It seems that with the snd_via82xx driver I'm stuck with 48k sample rate and that the current bianry for Audacity only supports OSS. The OSS emulation in ALSA doesn't seem to work very well and the recordings that I did make were clipped and badly distorted, changing the levels didn't fix this.

Audacity can be compiled with ALSA support but wouldn't for me, must be missing something. (see the Audacity wiki http://www.audacityteam.org/wiki/index.pl?CompilingAudacity ).

I'll wait before trying ALSA again!

Thanks!

Cuddles
10-25-2004, 04:39 PM
If you ever want to try the ALSA thing again, try this email news group:

ALSA Registration Site (https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/alsa-user)

You can register your email with the above, then post emails to the "mailing list" of your ALSA questions, issues, or problems. Some great ALSA people on this email :D

As a matter of concern though, dont mention any "cheatcodes" to them, they just dont get the whole "knoppix boot" thing, I did this once, and got a whole lot of responses that I had to explain, just mention things like "Debian Sid, version xxxx, with kernel xxxxx" kind of stuff...

Most of the die-hard people in this group run Debian, Red Hat, SuSE, Mandrake, etc... and the whole "knoppix" thing is way over them. They are mostly used to having to compile source, and insert the modules kind of thing...

Glad to hear you got your sound working, not quite sure if ReZound is going to work with the OSS though... I think I need to run "jack" in the background for it, and thats with ALSA. You might still try it though, heck, its another sound editor / recorder :)