PDA

View Full Version : I'm not sure whats wrong

SkeetQ
10-24-2004, 10:45 PM
I currently a noob at linux and wanted to learn it. I've downloaded the Knoppix version KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN.iso. Ive been following the faq and i burned to the CD as a img when i try to boot from the cd it reads the disk sits there for 15-30 secs then continues to boot with Windows XP. My question is there away to solve this i would like to try knoppix :cry:

CrashedAgain
10-24-2004, 11:22 PM
Almost certain your CD is not burned properly as an iso image. By 'following the FAQ' do you mean this http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqDownloading ?
Give us more details on exactly what burn program & procedure you are using.

Cuddles
10-25-2004, 12:22 AM
SkeetQ,

My guess is, is that you copied the ISO file to a CD... If you open the CD, in say, Windows Explorer, does it just show ONE FILE, xxxxxxxx.iso -=- or do you see more than one file?

The ISO file is not a program, nor is it able to boot your system, it is a image file, used in a burning software program, like a zip file. To elaborate, if you create a zip file, it contains, probably, more than one file, and you must unzip that one file to gain access to those seperate files within it.

The iso file, is like the zip file, to your burning software, it has lots of files, and the complete "linux" OS inside it, and your burning software will uncompress the structure of this file, using it, to create a fully functioning, and bootable, CD.

Hopefully, I am correct on this, and that all you need to do is to redo a CD burn

SkeetQ
10-25-2004, 03:27 AM
I'm using Nero version 5.5.7.8 which i own. Yes i am refering to that faq, anywayz ive tryed burning it both ways File>Burn Image and Burning it directly as a ISO disk. The only thing i think is odd that when ive burned the disk im not able to view whats on the disk my cd drive says please insert cd. I know my burner works because ive used it many times before and i know my dvd drive is functioning. Does ISO files usually show on a burned disk?

firebyrd10
10-25-2004, 04:16 AM
I'm using Nero version 5.5.7.8 which i own. Yes i am refering to that faq, anywayz ive tryed burning it both ways File>Burn Image and Burning it directly as a ISO disk. The only thing i think is odd that when ive burned the disk im not able to view whats on the disk my cd drive says please insert cd. I know my burner works because ive used it many times before and i know my dvd drive is functioning. Does ISO files usually show on a burned disk?

Yes, you should be able to view whats on the disk. Perhaps a curropted iso.