PDA

View Full Version : Persistent Home with PMI problem

Serow225
10-25-2004, 12:05 AM
Hi, I have a Poor Man Install working mostly great, except for the persistent home.

When I save the Knoppix configuration file and restart, any files that I've saved in the home directory remain usable. As well, my bookmarks/desktop settings are stored correctly.

The problem is that any changes made to the desktop (files added or icons deleted) are lost after restarting.

I have a separate partition set up as the persistent home, and the myconfig= and home= lines set up in my Grub menu.lst file.

I did notice that when I'm starting up, the knoppix.sh file is loaded first from the home directory, and then again from the image file in KNOPPIX. It seems like this file is always getting loaded as the default one off of the image file.

Thanks for your help!

Serow225
10-27-2004, 04:36 AM
Well, I ended up abandoning the poor man approach in favor of a full HD install.

I have an ASUS A7N266-VM motherboard, and the distros I tried installing to the HD (Knoppix 3.4,3.6, 3.7 and VectorLinux) all had read errors during the transfer from the CD to the HD.

This is apparently known to occur with ASUS motherboards. I fixed it by disabling APIC in the BIOS, and then using the cheatcode "knoppix 2 lang=us noapic nolapic noapci" before running "sudo knoppix-installer.

Cheers!