PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix and Compaq Presario 2200

summer51
10-25-2004, 05:28 AM
Hi

I have Knoppix version 3.3 which I finally got installed on one partition on compaq presario 2200 [Model 2246 AP].

I am having the following problems with Knoppix -

1] Audio Driver - [Intel 82801DB(M) ICH4(-M) - AC'97 Audio]

Knoppix does recognize the driver but fails to configure it. So how do I configure so as to start sounds and music on Knoppix.

2] Modem - I am not able to connect to internet using Knoppix. I configured my modem at ttys0 or ttys1 but it says the 'Modem is busy' when I try to connect or when I 'Query Modem'. I have a dial-up connection.

3] I am not able to play vcd as the two Video Players embedded with Knoppix do not recognize '.dat' format of file.

Did I miss some steps regarding configuring Drivers after installation OR do I need to get the latest version of Knoppix for it to work properly on my system ?

Also before installing Knoppix I created three partitions for its installation.
First I created one Linux swap partition and then two Linux partition. My idea was to install Knoppix on one partition and save any data on the other partition. Did I do the right thing ? Was the other Linux partition formatted into ext2 or ext3 file system when the partition table was written on it during installation or do I still need to format it into ext2/3 file system using some other utility ? And do I have to activate [or something] the Linux Swap partition for it to work properly and give max performance ?

Please Advice. Thanks in Advance !!

- Summer

PS - Here are some details of the System :

Motherboard
CPU Type Mobile Unknown, 1400 MHz (6.5 x 215)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Montara-GM i855GM
System Memory 224 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (08/03/04)

Display
Video Adapter Intel(R) 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller (64 MB)
Video Adapter Intel(R) 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller (64 MB)
3D Accelerator Intel Extreme Graphics 2
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB]

Multimedia
Audio Adapter Intel 82801DB(M) ICH4(-M) - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-1]

Network Adapter Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
Network Adapter WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface (61.1.29.169)

Modem SoftV92 Data Fax Modem with SmartCP