PDA

View Full Version : n00bquestion: HDD-partition-permissions?

dragonlord
10-25-2004, 08:23 PM
Iīm just a few weeks old on this Linux/Knoppix-thing and everything seems to work out fine, Iīm learning by the day but thereīs still one thing I havenīt been able to figure out. Can I move files to ANY OTHER point on my computer except for my /home directory?

Iīm not currently on my computer because my ISP has problems with my modem and so on, long story that has nothing to do with Linux/Knoppix, so I canīt really provide logs and so on...

I have two physical hddīs in my computer, the big one - unfortunately - has NFTS on it so it stays read-only until I can get the other one working properly. And the other one then, hda1 (ext3)-> boot drive, hda2 (ext3?)-> intention was to use this as storage.

I used cfdisk to create one partition out of two others, one which had WinXP on it, thus ending up with hda2 unformatted. I tried to find a way to format the partition and found QTParted. So now itīs got a file system, at least it says it does. So even if I mount it I canīt for the world move nor remove files from that partition, NOR files outside of the /home directory on hda1 EVEN if I change read/write status (by right-clicking, Actions -> Change Read/write). Same goes for my MP3-player, sda1.

Iīm quite convinced this is just a newbie-problem but itīs really bugging me out that I canīt use my HDDīs, I just want to use them the same way I did in Windows... :)

Thanks..!

CrashedAgain
10-26-2004, 04:36 AM
I think your problem is file permissions. To check, see if you can move files as root. In a terminal:
su
cp <path & source file name> <path & target file name>
if this works, your problem is file permissions, everything except /home is owned/accessable to root only.
To have your hda2 automatically mount as rw with permissions for everybody, edit your /etc/fstab so that the line for hda2 reads something like this:
/dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2 ext3 auto,umask=000,users 0 0
Depending on what type of HD install you did (eveything except 'Debian' style install), you may have to add 'nofstab' to your boot codes to prevent Knoppix from overwriting your fstab with its default. To do this, edit /etc/lilo.conf, find the line 'append=' & add 'nofstab' to the list.
If you are going to use this computer as a dual boot machine, you may want to change hda2 to a vfat format which both Linux & Windows can see so you can share the data on this drive.
You will have to be root to edit the above files, I use Kate as a text editor. To set it up to run as root, 'drag-n-drop' copy the Kate icon from the start menu to the desktop, then rt click on it, select properties, & edit the application to run to 'kdesu kate <whatever it says now>'. You will be prompted for a root password when you start it, so you will have to set one: In a terminal type 'sudo passwd' to set root password.