PDA

View Full Version : Noobish question on editing

Agentsmith15
10-26-2004, 06:47 AM
Im trying to edit nessusd.conf but I keep getting an error message :( I think I might have to edit it in the root shell but I don't know how and how would I get to the file from the root shell? Any help would be appreciated

Cuddles
10-26-2004, 02:47 PM
Two ways, actually three, if you want to do it from the CLI completely:

( 1 ) In a root shell, type mc - for Midnight Commander - it will be a root File Manager screen, if you started it from a root screen. Now, all you have to do is click to navigate to your file, click on the file to edit it...

( 2 ) Locate "File Manager - Super User Mode" from within the KMenu, I have Knoppix v3.4, hard drive installed, and I can find it in the following: KMenu -> System -> More Programs. It will ask you for your "Administrator" or root password, and then bring up a Konq screen for you to navigate with, follow to your file, and edit it...

( 3 ) In a root Konsole screen, you can do it all by CLI commands:
cd /... to the directory / folder where your file is residing...
kwrite nessusd.conf or use what ever editor you prefer, vim, vi, kate, joe, etc...

Hope this helps

OErjan
10-26-2004, 04:37 PM
to be more compilcated vi or emacs could be used directly under the console. but that is a bit hard on a new user. powerful tools though.,
Even the old (and to me familiar) comands echo and cat could be used i guess.

echo whatever_i_want_added_to_END_of_nessusd.conf >> nessusd.conf
or if you want several "files" merged as one new file.

cat file1>newfile file2>>newfile file3>>newfile....

Agentsmith15
10-26-2004, 05:18 PM
Thank you guys :D , also is knoppix std all that different from knoppix?

OErjan
10-26-2004, 05:25 PM
details such as what programes and versions there are... no great insurmountable diferences.

eon
10-26-2004, 05:45 PM
A great tutorial that I recently learned about is vimtutor.

I learned alot about using vi/vim with it.

Just type "vimtutor" at a shell.

OErjan
10-26-2004, 05:48 PM
oh, might be some sligth diferences as to hardware support...