PDA

View Full Version : Partition /home

al.rovelli
10-26-2004, 03:46 PM
Hi,

I have just installed Knoppix 3.6 and I'd like to use my /home directory that is in another partition.
My root directory (Knoppix 3.6) is hda1 and my /home directory is hda6.
I have modified the file /etc/fstab, but when I reboot Knoppix re-creates this file, so I can't use hda6 as /home.

Can someone help me?
How can I make Knoppix not modify my modified /etc/fstab file?

Thank you.

Alberto

(From Italy: I apologize for my bad English).

stuart_b
10-26-2004, 07:17 PM
You may end up messing up Knoppix, and having to re-install, but I have a few ideas.

1 Delete the stuff that is in the /home directory on /dev/hda1. It couldn't hurt--well, actually it could if you log in as a user (i.e., not root), and the changes to /etc/fstab don't take. But you won't be able to even see this stuff if it works, because that directory will be the mount point for your preferred /home.

2 When you add /dev/hda6 to /etc/fstab, add it just below the line that mounts the root partition itself. There should be an empty line there. It seems to me that when Knoppix rebuilds /etc/fstab, it actually edits some lower lines in the file--so things added near the top should stay fixed.

I am currently working on a project to install Knoppix on a bunch of old PCs, and found it faster to use Ghost than to do an install on each one. But the older version of Ghost won't resize ext2/ext3, so I installed to a 3GB partition, then formatted another one for /home, and moved the user directories from the existing /home (which then becomes the mount point) to the new one. And I have found adding the mount (as /dev/hda3 /home ext3 defaults 0 0) to /etc/fstab works perfectly.

rozen
10-28-2004, 12:56 AM
I had the same problem modifying /etc/fstab and then Knoppix would overwrite the new stuff. Then I realized that if I removed the comments

# Added by KNOPPIX

from /etc/fstab then I could modify the following line.