PDA

View Full Version : Do I realy have to remaster knoppix ... ?

protector
10-26-2004, 10:23 PM
hi.

I want to customize my knoppix just a little bit:

I want knoppix to load (after the whole startup-prosess ) a (java-)program from floppydisc. Nothing more.

Do I realy have to remaster the CD?

Background:
We want to use knoppix as OS for a standalone Infoscreenterminal. There should be just running our little java-program after starting the Terminal with Linux. By using knoppix We hope we can run the terminal without harddisk. And by having the java-program on floppydisc we can easyly manage the support of the terminal.

patelbhavesh
10-26-2004, 11:11 PM
hi.

I want to customize my knoppix just a little bit:

I want knoppix to load (after the whole startup-prosess ) a (java-)program from floppydisc. Nothing more.

Do I realy have to remaster the CD?

Background:
We want to use knoppix as OS for a standalone Infoscreenterminal. There should be just running our little java-program after starting the Terminal with Linux. By using knoppix We hope we can run the terminal without harddisk. And by having the java-program on floppydisc we can easyly manage the support of the terminal.

You can just create a simple script named knoppix.sh and save it on the floppy and then use the cheat code myconf=scan and I think that shuold work.I have not tried this personally.
I have tried this on a hard drive partition but not on a floppy.

sgtdawg
10-28-2004, 05:49 AM
Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to manage a remastered CD? I have found that the only issue remastering the CD is that when I'm done and have a new burn there is something new to change. For a simple change like this it would make sense to burn it into the CD.

You could eliminate the floppy drive and won't run the risk of having to reboot the system with a custom cheatcode.

Just a thought. Probably not much help.