PDA

View Full Version : orinoco gold after apt-get update? pump? start cmd exited

Rubane
10-26-2004, 10:47 PM
I finally got my Toshiba Portege 3480CT working with a HD install of knoppix 3.6 and the orinoco gold card was working fine, and still does when I boot from the cd. First few reboots after the HD install it still worked but now does not. I surfed around these forums and found other people with these problems, seems some received them after apt-get update? Which could very well be what I'm doing, I know I did the update but I can't recall if that's when I first couldn't get the card to work again. When booting I get this:

cardmgr [419]: starting, version is 3.2.5
cardmgr [419]: socket 0: Lucent Technologies WaveLAN/IEEE Adapter
cardmgr [419]: executing: 'modprobe hermes'
cardmgr [419]: executing: 'modprobe orinoco'
cardmgr [419]: executing: 'modprobe orinoco_cs'
cardmgr [419]: executing: './network start eth0'
cardmgr [419]: + iwconfig eth0 essid "banelap"
cardmgr [419]: +Sample private network setup
cardmgr [419]: + /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up
cardmgr [419]: + /sbin/pump -i eth0 > /dev/null

then after a few other commands different colors, usb firewire video and partitions detection

Network device eth0 detected, DHCP broadcasting for IP. (Backgrounding)
(i dont know if this conflicts with the cardmgr?)

then for some reason:
(Re)starting PCMCIA services.
cardmgr[1028]: open_sock(socket 0) failed: Device or resource busy
cardmgr[419]: + Operation Failed.
cardmgr[419]: start cmd exited with status 1

If anyone has any suggestions they would be appreciated. If anyone has questions about how to get X running with this laptop or a Savage/IX I now know how to do it. (kinda) so send an email if you need help

CrashedAgain
10-26-2004, 11:13 PM
See my post 'Networking works...then it doesn't'. Exactly the same problem. Workaround should be to stop knoppix-hd-config from attempting to restart the netcard.

file is /etc/init.d/knoppix-hd-config, find the appropriate section & cahnge to read as follows:

if [ -n "$STARTPCMCIA" ]
then
echo "(Re)starting PCMCIA services."
# killall cardmgr 2>/dev/null && sleep 4
echo "restarting cardmgr..."
cardmgr -v && sleep 4
fi

Another problem you may bump into: Samba was set to autostart as part of runlevel 5 services. When I first tried this workaround, the system froze trying to start smbd. So use sys-v-edit & remove samba from the services autostarted in runlevel first.

Hope somebody can help out with a better solution on this one.

bandoba
10-27-2004, 12:47 AM
I think I am seeing same problem. But I am running off the CD (or using PMI WiPartition). So I can't edit knoppix-hd-config file. How can I achieve same result when running off the CD?

Rubane
10-27-2004, 03:22 AM
the above code into /etc/init.d/knoppix-hd-config didn't work still getting same errors

any other suggestions? thanks for the help

Rubane
10-27-2004, 11:00 PM
is this also a problem in any other versions of knoppix? I'm willing to download an older version, does anyone have working links to older versions what will allow the use of apt-get update?

CrashedAgain
10-28-2004, 03:31 AM
the above code into /etc/init.d/knoppix-hd-config didn't work still getting same errors

any other suggestions? thanks for the help

test where the problem is actually occurring:
near the end of /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig, insert the following:

ping -c 5 216.239.57.99

If this pings OK, net is working OK at this point. (216.239.57.99 is google)

Now insert the same line at the end of /etc/init.d/knoppix-hd-config or at the beginning of mountall.sh which is what runs next.

If this ping fails, the problem is in knoppix-hd-config. Post your knoppix-hd-config.

This is not a Knoppix version problem, it is an individual computer hardware setup issue. I did not have the problem (knoppix 3.4) until recently, it was no doubt something I did but I'm not sure what. I have a habit of fiddling until it's broken!