PDA

View Full Version : Not installing to mbr....

rrfish72
10-27-2004, 02:27 AM
If I select not to install to the mbr in the installer options, is it still possible to configure lilo to boot the image? If it is, what would the entry look in lilo? I want to keep the mandrake lilo as my bootloader and I know if I install another OS then that bootloader will take over the old. How can I stop this from happening?

shah
10-27-2004, 02:53 AM
My advice:
Just let knoppix's lilo take over Mandrake's on mbr. If everything is okay,Knoppix's lilo will include Mandrake's partition.

After rebooting, choose to boot to Mandrake. From inside Mandrake, you can edit Mandrake's /etc/lilo.cfg and insert line for booting knoppix. You can compare Mandrake's and Knoppix's lilos and copy the appopriate lines from knoppix to mandrake.
After editing and save lilo.cfg, run : lilo -v.

By doing this way, you can preserve mandrake's lilo and has a reference to knoppix's lilo.

Good luck
:D :D

rrfish72
10-27-2004, 03:29 AM
I tried that once already and it did not see mandrake on hda4, Kanotix is on hda1. Windows is somehow on hda2 - I think that happened because I resized the windows partition with the mandrake installer and ended up with a partition before and after hda2(windows). But I think my entry might have been wrong in that installation with lilo. I have it configured right now and these three boot correctly. I just don't want to fix it again because it's not broken.

Is that the only way to do it? Is there any way to do it from the root partition?

shah
10-27-2004, 04:10 AM
Then do the reverse.
Boot to knoppix and copy Mandrake's lilo.cfg into knoppix 's lilo.cfg and run
lilo -v.

I believe you can try edit knoppix installer configuration file before proceed with installation:
/ramdisk/home/knoppix/.knofig ***check if this lacation is right

The .knofig flie will look like this:

REGISTERED=" SYSTEM_MODULE SYSTEM_TYPE HD_MODULE HD_FORMAT HD_FSTYPE HD_CHOICE HD_MAP HD_IGNORECHECK SWAP_MODULE SWAP_AUTODETECT SWAP_CHOICES NAME_MODULE NAME_NAME USER_MODULE USER_NAME USERPASS_MODULE USERPASS_CRYPT ROOTPASS_MODULE ROOTPASS_CRYPT HOST_MODULE HOST_NAME SERVICES_MODULE SERVICES_START BOOT_MODULE BOOT_LOADER BOOT_DISK BOOT_WHERE INSTALL_READY"

SYSTEM_MODULE="configured"
# Determines if the system is a debian-derivate, a copy from CD or a nice mix of both
# Possible are: knoppix|beginner|debian
# Default value is: debian
SYSTEM_TYPE="debian"

HD_MODULE="configured"
# Determines if the HD should be formatted. (mkfs.*)
# Possible are: yes|no
# Default value is: yes
HD_FORMAT="yes"
# Sets the Filesystem type.
# Possible are: ext3|ext2|reiserfs
# Default value is: reiserfs
HD_FSTYPE="reiserfs"
# Here the Knoppix-System will be installed
# This value will be checked by function module_hd_check
HD_CHOICE="/dev/hdb5"
# Here you can give additional mappings. (Experimental) You need to have the partitions formatted yourself and give the correct mappings like: "/dev/hda4:/boot /dev/hda5:/var /dev/hda6:/tmp"
HD_MAP=""
# If set to yes, the program will NOT check if there is enough space to install knoppix on the selected partition(s). Use at your own risk! Useful for example with HD_MAP if you only have a small root partition.
# Default value is: no
HD_IGNORECHECK="no"

SWAP_MODULE="configured"
# If set to yes, the swap partitions will be autodetected.
SWAP_AUTODETECT="yes"
# The swap partitions to be used by the installed knoppix.
# This value will be checked by function module_swap_check
SWAP_CHOICES="/dev/hdb6"

NAME_MODULE="configured"
NAME_NAME="yyy"

USER_MODULE="configured"
USER_NAME="xxxx"

USERPASS_MODULE="configured"
USERPASS_CRYPT="xcxcxcxcxcxcdxc"

ROOTPASS_MODULE="configured"
ROOTPASS_CRYPT="zxcvbnmm"

HOST_MODULE="configured"
HOST_NAME="knoppix"

SERVICES_MODULE="configured"
# Possible services are for now: kdm cupsys smail ssh samba
# Default value is: kdm cupsys
SERVICES_START="kdm cupsys"

BOOT_MODULE="configured"
# Chooses the Boot-Loader
# Possible are: lilo|grub
# Default value is: grub
BOOT_LOADER="grub" *Maybe you can disable this line
# If set to 'yes' a boot disk will be created!
BOOT_DISK="yes"
# Where the Boot-Loader will be installed
# Possible are: mbr|partition
# Default value is: mbr
BOOT_WHERE="mbr" *Maybe you can disable this line
INSTALL_READY="yes"

Look for line I comment *Maybe you can disable this line
Good luck
:D :D

CrashedAgain
10-27-2004, 05:08 AM
You can install Kanotix to the partition instead of the mbr then just edit the Mandrake lilo.conf to boot into that partition as 'other'.
eg: other=/dev/hda1
label="Kanotix"

The Mandrake lilo on the mbr will then boot into the Kanotix lilo on hda1. With Kanotix as the default on this lilo and the delay set to 0 or a very low value, you won't even notice that you are booting through two lilo's.
This is possibly the easiest way to set up a multi-boot system.