PDA

View Full Version : New Linux/ Knoppix user needs help

Tempestas
10-27-2004, 10:55 AM
Hi people,

recently I started to use Linux, Knoppix respectively, because I want to write something in Latex and started doing so using Kile. Anyways, my notebook screwed up, and now I have to reinstall everything on my own ... Problem is just, that I don't really have a clue what I have to do. :oops: However, somehow I managed to get Knoppix 3.6 installed on my harddrive, but unfortunately it doesn't contain Kile. :cry: I downloaded the latter, and now I'm stuck: it's a rpm-package, and when I try to open it with Kpackage, it tells me that I have to use alien ... I tried to find alien, I did, but only files permitted to "read only". :shock: And in another package (a different version of Kile???) I found a hint that says I need KDE 3.1 and Qt 3.3??? I downloaded KDE, and: again: surprise, surprise: I don't know how to handle this. :?: What do I have to do? (And please don't tell me I better stick to Windows ... MicTeX is not really an option ...).

Thanks a lot in advance ...

Tempestas ;o)

PS: Please excuse my bad english ... it's not my mother tongue :oops:

kuser123
10-27-2004, 12:05 PM
apt-get update
apt-get install kile

The first command updates the package database (several MB will be downloaded). The second command installs kile with all depencies. Don't install rpm-Packages if DEB-Packages are available. Knoppix is a Debian distribution, which uses the DEB-Package format. RPM-Packages are for Readhat, Suse, Mandrake, etc.
alien is for installing RPM-Packages. But the depencies may not be resolved correctly and so the program may not work.

Tempestas
10-28-2004, 04:33 PM
thanks for the hint ... :lol: unfortunately I don't have acces to the internet with the notebook. :oops: How can I go around this? Is it possible to download all packages and install them from a cd?

;o)

firebyrd10
10-29-2004, 12:39 AM
thanks for the hint ... :lol: unfortunately I don't have acces to the internet with the notebook. :oops: How can I go around this? Is it possible to download all packages and install them from a cd?

;o)

Yea, just go here when you need to download a package.

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/tex/kile.html

firebyrd10
10-29-2004, 12:39 AM

;o)

Yea, just go here when you need to download a package.

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/tex/kile.html

Tempestas
11-03-2004, 04:11 PM
Thanks, I downloaded several packages, but I don't know which one I do have to install on my pc (it's an IBM Thinkpad 600X). I tried to extract one into usr/share/apps/kile, but a window popped up saying "permission denied" (or something like that). Since I'm not really firm in using the console, how do I manage to install the package (which one, btw?) as a beginner via mouse + click + moving :oops: :oops: :oops:

;o)