PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get connected

fannymites
10-27-2004, 12:13 PM
I have been fiddling around with linux for a couple of weeks and so far I have been unable to get any sort of internet connection.
I have now got rid of my hard drive installation and followed the information here - http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/WinPartition and I was just wondering if there is any way I can set this up to use my XP internet connection from Knoppix, since they are both on the same hard drive (and partition)?

olivers
10-28-2004, 06:16 AM
I was just wondering if there is any way I can set this up to use my XP internet connection from Knoppix, since they are both on the same hard drive (and partition)?

Using the installation as you describe, there is no way to use the XP internet connection. You have XP and Knoppix installed on the same partition, but only one of them runs at a time.

There is a way using coLinux (search for "japan knoppix colinux" on google). This could be fiddly to set up - I have not tried it. The end result would be Knoppix running inside a window on your XP system.

Harry Kuhman
10-28-2004, 08:27 AM
You have a computer. It's either running Knoppix or Windows, not both at once. When running windows you do something to connect to the Internet. Knoppix can connect to the internet, too, without the need for any part of windows.

It would help more for us to tell you what to do if you told us how you normally connect to the Internet. Are you on dial-up? DSL? Cable? Something else? What hardware do you have? You might need nothing more than a user name and password from your windows system, or you might need special driver software if you use "unusual" hardware to connect to the Internet. The simplest case would be if you connect to the Internet with DSL or cable and use a wired ethernet card to connect to the "modem". With cable you might need nothing, but with DSL (or cable) if you were using a simple DSL/cable router you should find that you were connected to the Internet as soon as you booted Knoppix, with no set up to do or extra software to run in Knoppix at all.

Harry Kuhman
10-28-2004, 08:39 AM
P.S. You mention Knoppix being "on the same hard drive". So I suspect that you are running from a hard drive install rather than just from the Knoppix CD. IF you spend a liittle time going over the many posts in this forum from others who have had Internet connection problems only after installing to hard disk you might find some things that match your situation and give you additional things to try.

Knoppix is first and foremost a live CD distribution. Many people have trouble getting the network working from hard drive. The fixes seem simple, but the script writers never seem to incorporate them in the scripts and Klaus seems very reasonably directing his limited resources in other areas. You might want to try booting from CD and seeing how your Internet connection works from there. It's certainly groundwork I would do before trying to get networking running from a hard disk "install". Also, if asking for help with any part of a hard disk install, it's generally helpfull to spell out clearly both that you did install to hard disk and which of the hard disk install options you used.

fannymites
10-29-2004, 04:40 AM
Ok, just to fill you in. The way the installation worked is that it booted from the actuall downloaded iso file (not a burnt iso image) running from the XP root directory and using grub to dual boot.
As it happens I've just had to re-format my disk and re-install XP after everything got screwed up (that'll teach me not to lose my boot-disk).
I've now given up on that install option and I'm probably going to have to stop trying to use linux. I've tried setting up an internet connection from the above installation, from a regular knoppix-installer hard drive installation and while running from the live cd and I just haven't got anywhere.
I'm on dial-up and using an Intel 536EP data fax modem.
I have downloaded the correct linux drivers for the modem but I just can't get the driver installed. I have read of other people having problems with this modem and I'm yet to find an answer.
The first problem was that it wanted the kernel sources installed so I downloaded and installed those and tried installing again but this time it says I have an unknown distribution and it was unable to find boot scripts.
I tried Gentoo previously and had the identical problem.

olivers
10-29-2004, 07:46 AM
I'm on dial-up and using an Intel 536EP data fax modem.
I have downloaded the correct linux drivers for the modem but I just can't get the driver installed.

If your modem needs a special driver for Linux, that suggests to me that it's an internal "winmodem" - built primarily with Windows in mind. If you've got some money the simplest fix would be to buy a new modem. Any external modem that connects via a serial port should do the trick. Then you won't need to install any special drivers in Knoppix - just make sure the modem is plugged in and turned on when you boot up the computer and it should be detected.