PDA

View Full Version : Why does my knoppix start up as debian????

zoukgirl
10-27-2004, 08:34 PM
Hello,

All I did was change my wallpaper background and save the configuration on my USB flash drive. After restarting my computer i typed "knoppix myconfig=scan" so that it could read my saved settings. However, instead of starting up as regular old knoppix with a pretty background, it starts up as debian showing a debian desktop and interface.

I know that knoppix is based on debian. But i don't want the debian-like interface. i want the original knoppix one. but now everytime i load my configuration it always shows a debian desktop. Don't know what i did wrong nor how to fix it.

By the way i'm running knoppix from a CD.
Please help.
thanks

eon
10-29-2004, 02:48 PM
Hello,

All I did was change my wallpaper background and save the configuration on my USB flash drive. After restarting my computer i typed "knoppix myconfig=scan" so that it could read my saved settings. However, instead of starting up as regular old knoppix with a pretty background, it starts up as debian showing a debian desktop and interface.

If i'm reading you correctly you want the knoppix loader or splash screen when starting.
Have I understood you? Once you saved your settings and then told the boot- loader to look for them it doesn't use that part of the cd anymore.

There is probably some way to do what you want, and I'm confused by your saying "a debian desktop and interface" . Exactly how is your desktop or interface different than it was when running knoppix without your configuration files? And perhaps you can experiment with your configuration files to get the look you want? i.e undo the changes you made and re-save.

More specific information will help the forum users help you. Good luck.