PDA

View Full Version : network browsing?

Dominator
10-27-2004, 09:25 PM
hello, i'm new here
i'm even new to linux systems (my excuses for that)
my harddisk had several problems, and crappy windows won't install anymore, so i got knoppix from a friend of mine.
i finally got it installed and stuff, it's quite hard to find everything, as a noob :wink:

but what's my problem? i'm at a student house, with 11 people and as much pc's.
and in windows it's just opening the browser and go to network enviroment, or type \\name

i've tried and looked around a lot here, and really really don't know how to browse to those other pc's.

is there anyone who wants to explain me how to do it?

thanx in advance

UnderScore
10-27-2004, 09:41 PM
Use the program called LinNeighborhood (http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/demos/tutorials/linneighborhood/).
I hope this helps.
James

Dominator
10-27-2004, 10:40 PM
thx for the help
but i just found an other way.
as i know the pc names of my fellow students, i could just do smb://computername

still one problem, i want to check a movie from one of them, but i can't open avi's in any way.
i know there are other topics about it, and i've tried to download codecs and stuff.
but it seems that i have to compile those things myself and stuff, and for a linux noob, it's not quite easy... i wonder if there are like exe's in linux that may install those codecs like in the windows way...
(i sure hope i'm not insulting anyone :wink: )

shah
10-27-2004, 11:08 PM
Try find debian package, something with extension .deb
or use synaptic or kpackage or apt-get.
w32codecs is a collection of codecs that you can use to watch movies.
Example:
apt-get update
apt-get install w32codecs

:D :D

outanet
10-28-2004, 01:23 AM
well it sounds like what you want is here (http://klik.berlios.de/?view=kplayer), let us know how you get on, i havnt tried it.

aay
10-28-2004, 02:55 AM
Try find debian package, something with extension .deb
or use synaptic or kpackage or apt-get.
w32codecs is a collection of codecs that you can use to watch movies.
Example:
apt-get update
apt-get install w32codecs

:D :D

Shah,

Good advice, but Dominator is not going to have the necessary repositories from a default knoppix install to grab w32codecs with apt.

Dominator, you need to open the following file with a text editor (as root).

/etc/apt/sources.list

Then add this line.

deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main

After that do:

apt-get update

Then:

apt-get -t unststable install w32codecs

Of course these are only the codecs. You'll also want to install a player. I suggest using apt to install one or more of the following: mplayer, kplayer, kaffeine. Personally I like kaffeine.

As far as browsing Windows shares goes, apt-get install smb4k. Smb4k is quite good at browsing and mounting windows shares.

Adam