PDA

View Full Version : Triumph!!!

impure_client
10-28-2004, 06:01 AM
Hi all, I'm new to Linux, having just installed an old version of Red Hat on a spare box I've got just to mess around with it and learn. I ran across Knoppix the other day, and thought it sounded like a great way for me to work with Linux while using my (Windows) laptop. So I burned it off, and ran it up this afternoon. It froze on a black screen right after prompt. After much finagling (and command line goodness) made possible with help from this forum, I got it to start up. Then, my wireless LAN card didn't work. I read up on the forums again, and tried out the suggestions, and, after a few tries, here I am posting this with Knoppix right now.
Bottom line is, after a day's worth of messing with Linux, the two times I've been able to make things work were total joy. There's something gratifying in making things work without having to rely on Windows automation.
Sorry if this sounds dumb, just wanted to get it out. Thanks everyone!

mzilikazi
10-28-2004, 01:41 PM
woot!

Cuddles
10-29-2004, 03:02 PM
Kewl, and good job :!:

I am always amazed that most, if not all, of the issues people have, have already happened, and doing a Search Knoppix.net, will come up with, usually, a lot of people having responses to the same issues... Many times its just the wording that needs to be used, to locate someone else who has had the same issue as someone else, did...

The site admin has made it wonderful by leaving archives on the forums, so past "experiance" can be searched, plus the FAQ's, and the DOC's. ( even though some of this information is a little out of date, it still can have relavence to something )

I've never tried any other Distro of Linux, Knoppix was my first, and only, so far, enough so, that I've hard drive installed it, for two versions now... I have been "eyeing" Kanotix, but haven't made the move yet... Usually I get frustrated with something that I broke, and when I feel that I am at wits-end, and going to have to resolve by re-install, I start looking for another install Distro, but, then I get Knoppix working again, and just stay with it... ( not always happening, but enough to keep my "posting count" up :D )

I think what keeps me running Knoppix, is this forum, this site, and the wonderful people who frequent it... The Linux Community, in large, is fantastic. Usually, from people who volunteer there time, and expertise, to assist, and help, everyone out...

Someone once said that Linux doesnt really have a "formal" help function, like 1-800-Linux or something, something that Windows has, but, if you look around, and have a little time to wait, information is out there, and when the right person sees someone having problems with something they know about, they most always, add information on possible resolves... Windows is more of a "formal" thing, to get help, whereas, Linux, is more of a "community" help thing. ( people helping people )

Oh well, glad to see you got your install running, up, and happy :D

impure_client
10-29-2004, 05:51 PM
Yeah, I would agree, based on what I have been seeing here recently. I like that everyone is so knowledgable and willing to help, whereas with say, Windows, well, there's nothing that anyone could really do for you, even if they would. Windows is based wholly upon automated processes. I'm finding more and more that I really don't like that. Thanks for your support, both of you, and I'm really glad to be here.