PDA

View Full Version : (Easy?) Change LANG= and LANGUAGE= to something else at HDD

marat
10-28-2004, 06:16 AM
In short, my KDE desktop is English, and all KDE control center settings are set to English (switching them back and forth does not help), but in the command line LANGUAGE=jp and LANG=jp_JP, correspondingly some programs I run from KDE desktop display their GUI in Japanese. What is the primary place to fix these LANGUAGE and LANG (and other environment variables I may miss)?

In not-so-short I downloaded Knoppix image from Japanese site, booted it with lang=en (it was all English when working from CD), ran knx2hd and got what is descrived above on HDD. Not that I completely could not read Japanese, but still English would be better for me :)

CrashedAgain
10-28-2004, 03:46 PM
First, apt-get localepurge & remove support for all unwanted languages. Then, edit /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig to set the default language to english. I think if you have done a Debian type hd install it is knoppix-hdautoconfig instead of knoppix-autoconfig; check with /etc/rcs.d/ ; the startup & config files which are used are listed there. Finally, you can remove the alternate language support files from kde with apt-get remove kde-i18n-ja kde-i18n-de etc. apt-get remove kde-i18n* will remove them all except english.
This may still not work completely; Knoppix uses special de-en versions of openoffice & mozilla which occasionaly revert to German when you least expect it. These have to be apt-get removed & replaced with standard versions. Don't know if this is true of Japanese versions though.

marat
11-01-2004, 04:56 AM
Thank you, in fact lang=jp was left in lilo.conf boot params. Removing it fixed the problem.