PDA

View Full Version : Help a Noob

_StREAk_
03-27-2003, 05:59 PM
Hello I am new to Knoppix it was suggested to me by a friend... The interface seems excellent. I just seem not to be able to connect to the web. I can get my Modem to connect to with Kpp just fine my problem is setting up Netcardconfig.. how do i come up with the correct gateway ip and nameserver.. and the rest of the values that go into netcardconfig? Is there a command that i can run to get me the correct ip's?
Thanks in Advance..

Loper
03-27-2003, 06:22 PM
...I am new to Knoppix... I just seem not to be able to connect to the web...
Don't worry, we were all n00bs at least once. While I probably can't help you directly, there are some things you can tell us to make things easier:

1. Which version of Knoppix are you running?
2. More about your hardware. Which modem are you running? As suggested for the Hardware forum: "Please post a full output of lspci -v if your hardware is not detected, and all relevant information about your hardware."

That should help you get started. Good luck and welcome to Knoppix. I think that you will find it worth the effort.

Stephen
03-28-2003, 04:33 AM
You need to use the same settings that you would normally use when connecting in windows. Go into the control panel under networking and copy them down and then you have the settings you need. Or use the run command and winipcfg (I think thats right) and get the settings from there. If you did not have to enter any of the settings in windows then you are most likely using DHCP to get the settings so just use this in netcardconfig.