PDA

View Full Version : The "make" Command!

spitfire
10-28-2004, 05:26 PM
HI everyone,

just trying to fix my sound problem that has occured since ive used my own settings for knoppix and hence it cant load the sounblaster audigy modules needed.

Hopefully this might do the trick:

http://basic-rip.co.uk/tenpin/old_audigy_faq.html

Ive got the source file and have extracted it to my decktop under the directory: emu10k1-v0.20a

Now apparently i have to run the command "Make" and "make file" but i have no idea how to run these commands, when typing them nothing happens only to recieve : no targets specified.

I am very confuzed on how to "make" this work so that hopefully these drivers can come in handy and i can fix my soundcard troubles.

If any1 can enlighten me on how to use this command, it would be great.

Regards,

-Spitfire

mzilikazi
10-28-2004, 07:58 PM
Well you have to be in the directory you just created so:

cd emu10k1-v0.20a

*Usually* you would then do

./configure
make
make install

Have a look at the README or INSTALL docs for further instruction.

firebyrd10
10-29-2004, 12:26 AM
Be forewarned that you can install anything that way in knoppix.

spitfire
10-29-2004, 02:18 AM
okay thanks all.

Sorry im a bit of a nob just started using linux last night. I shall give this a go in the Konsole later, if that doesnt work i will try it in the root console.

So to get to the directory i just type in the Konsole: cd emu10k1-v0.20a

and then once that is done i type: ./configure
make
make install

Cheers for both of your helps :) hopefully i can have my beloved sound back without having to use the cd's config :D

firebyrd10
10-29-2004, 02:28 AM
okay thanks all.

Sorry im a bit of a nob just started using linux last night. I shall give this a go in the Konsole later, if that doesnt work i will try it in the root console.

So to get to the directory i just type in the Konsole: cd emu10k1-v0.20a

and then once that is done i type: ./configure
make
make install

Cheers for both of your helps :) hopefully i can have my beloved sound back without having to use the cd's config :D

you wan to run ./configure and make as a normal user if possible. You only need to run make install as root. (Just type sudo make install)

spitfire
10-29-2004, 02:36 AM
Exellent i worked it out! i had to type cd /home/knoppix/Desktop/emu10k1-v0.20a
Now im their and have make it work with 2 errors :D

-Spitfire