PDA

View Full Version : Changing boot record / sequence with 3.6

longshot
10-29-2004, 10:46 AM
hey there.. brand new to linux so to help with the transition i am dual booting windowsxp home and knoppix 3.6. My question regards changing the boot record / sequence. The qife isn't too technical so i want to change the order displayed for boot to windows at the top and increasing the time to choose from 4 to 10 seconds

I installed and updated without issue and things are going smooth except for this little nagging issue.

any help please

thanx

CrashedAgain
10-29-2004, 03:41 PM
edit the file /etc/lilo.conf to change your boot setup.
You must be root to edit this file, so first open a terminal, type su to become root, then type 'kate /etc/lilo.conf' to edit the file. Change timeout to whatever you want, set 'default=windows' then save the file & exit kate. Now type 'lilo' in your console to enable your changes.
If you end up editing setups a lot, you might want to set up a 'Root Kate' icon on your desktop. Just drag'ndrop copy the Kate icon from the start menu to the desktop then right click, select properties & edit the application to run to read 'kdesu kate ...' instead of just kate...'.

longshot
10-29-2004, 09:10 PM
thanx.. perfect. don't know kate but vi worked just as well ;-)

CrashedAgain
10-30-2004, 02:34 AM
thanx.. perfect. don't know kate but vi worked just as well ;-)

You're ahead of me on this one, I haven't a clue about vi but kate is just a (IMHO really good) gui text editor with a built in console panel. For non-gui text editor I use joe because the commands & interface has been around for over 20 years & I'm familiar with it.