PDA

View Full Version : Getting connected to internet not as root

th3b0d0mr3ap3r
10-29-2004, 06:31 PM
Hi everyone@knoppix.net, I have a little trouble, I get connected to the internet as root, but I'd like to do it as a limited user, when i run kppp as a limited user, it gets connected, but the problem is that none of the browsers (mozilla, konqueror, etc) display anything but an error (unknown machine or something like that), can anyone help me, anyway thanks a lot :lol:

Harry Kuhman
10-29-2004, 08:13 PM
You're not giving anyone enough information to help you. For example, when I connect to the Internet, root or not, everything works just fine.

Why is it different for me? Well, I know my situation but nothing about yours. I'm running from CD (as God and Klaus intended), I connected through DSL, I use a home router that takes care of PPPoE and loging me in and such, so I just boot Knoppix (using a few cheat codes), and I'm connected to the Internet through my wired ethernet connection, the router takes care of IP addresses and such by DHCP automagically.

People have gone over most of the issues in getting on the Internet many times in this forum. I suggest first that you scan through the over 1000 articles already posted to see if you can't find that the problem has already been solved. Yea, it takes some time, but it takes people more time if they respond and type what has already been posted, and scanning by subject line is pretty quick and this site even has a search engine. If you can't find the information already posted, give people some idea what your configuration is rather than just posting that Knoppix doesn't work for you the way you expect it.

javeriano01
12-23-2004, 03:58 AM
Hello
Do you have a HD Installation or BOOT ?

Harry Kuhman
12-23-2004, 04:07 AM
Hello
Do you have a HD Installation or BOOT ?
Hello. What part of I'm running from CD do I need to explain? And what kind of choice is HD Installation or BOOT? I have no idea what you mean by BOOT.