PDA

View Full Version : Video corruption in all media players

MasterRyu
10-29-2004, 07:47 PM
I am relatively new to Linux, have been playing around with Knoppix Linux for a few weeks now, but there is this nagging problem that has been bothering me:

I have severe video corruption in Xine and other players trying to play certain relatively low res (320x240) MPEG2 videos. I have tried changing the video plugin, and changing various other video settings, and running with the Nvidia drivers (I have GeForce FX chipset) does not solve the problem either. I have played Higher res AVIs with few problems in the players, I don't understand why this problem is occuring. I have checked the logs, it has the appropriate plugins available. While not a supercomputer, my specs should be more than sufficient for playing MPEG2 files (video playback is fine in XP):

AMD Athlon XP 2600+
768 MB PC2700 DDR 133 MHz
120 GB Seagate 5200 RPM drive
Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 128 MB

Also, I decided to load Knoppix Linux into memory by using the 'toram' boot parameter, but instead of speeding up, my speed took a massive nosedive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am having fun playing around with and learning Linux, save for these few problems. Thank you in advance.

firebyrd10
10-30-2004, 01:47 AM
I can see why is would slow down, when you load it to memory you only have 68 megs for programs and ramdisk left.
Also, the low-res might be useing a differnt codec that wasn't stated

MasterRyu
10-30-2004, 03:28 AM
I can see why is would slow down, when you load it to memory you only have 68 megs for programs and ramdisk left.
Also, the low-res might be useing a differnt codec that wasn't stated

I should have elaborated...this happens while I'm running off the CD...I actually had to to a hard re-boot of my system when I loaded it into RAM, Knoppix had become IBM AT/XT era slow, and completely locked up.