PDA

View Full Version : Sound from multiple applications simultaneously

MasterRyu
10-29-2004, 10:09 PM
I don't know if this is an acknowledged bug in Knoppix Linux or not, but I have noticed that Knoppix seems to only support sound from one application at a time, (ie. watching a video and therefore hearing no sound while playing Chromium. Has anybody else observed this problem?

firebyrd10
10-30-2004, 01:37 AM
I don't know if this is an acknowledged bug in Knoppix Linux or not, but I have noticed that Knoppix seems to only support sound from one application at a time, (ie. watching a video and therefore hearing no sound while playing Chromium. Has anybody else observed this problem?
It seems to only happen with sounds cards that aren't entirly supported.
Of course I could be wrong but thats what going with me.

CrashedAgain
10-30-2004, 02:26 AM
to support sound from more than one application at a time you must use a sound server, for KDE this is aRts. Set up to use arts in the sound section of KDE control centre, be sure to also set Konqueror->settings->configure konqueror->plugins->netscape plugins window/plugins tab 'use artsdsp to pipe plugins through aRts' checkbox to 'yes'. You will also have to install xmms-arts plugin & configure xmms to output to it. Other multimedia applications may need similar plugins.