PDA

View Full Version : ms NIC

rise
10-30-2004, 12:33 AM
Well i live in a small town where there is only an office max and the only NIC they carry is Microsoft MN-130. It sucks, i have read that these chips normally are supported but microsoft twiested the in out valuse or something. Could some one give me a very detailed tutorial on this. I apreciate the hellp again i want to use knoppix.

Harry Kuhman
10-30-2004, 01:57 AM
..... the only NIC they carry is Microsoft .....
I've documented in a couple of threads a major problem I have where my laptop NIC, that did work with Knoppix just fine, stopped working right after I installed a Microsoft security update. Obviously I think the two items are related. You can read the details here http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2117&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
and here
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2164&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Others have seen this problem too.

That said, if Microsoft is gong out of their way to make sure other NICs don't work with Linux (and only some versions of Linux are affected), then I certainly expect they would do the same thing to their own NICs. So it wouldn't surprise me that a Microsoft NIC, even one made with a "standard" chip, might not work with Knoppix.

You might try some of the cheat codes given in the other threads, or the reset and netcardconfig trick (also documented there) that I used.

Still, I wouldn't be schocked if you had more than your share pf problems with network hardware from Microsoft when trying to use Linux. I know OfficeMax often stocks both Belkin and Dlink NICs, I've gotten both free after rebate (although no free ones recently). [Dlink, by the way, deals with their rebate fairly, Belkin can be a fight to get paid.] You might keep an eye open for either at OfficeMax. You can also get NICs very inexpensively mail order, even with shipping (usually less than at OfficeMax when they are not free). An alternative NIC would be my first choice.

rise
10-30-2004, 04:15 AM
Well, i kept doing my research and came up with this, but i was not sure if knoppix had tulips installed could you help me with this?

linuxquestions.org:Uses the prism 2 chipset, or maybe just prism, but either way its a standard (to myknowledge) chipset found on linksys cards. So under normal circumstances you should be able to use the tulip module to get this to work. But of course microsoft had to go in and put in their 2 cents and screw it up for everyone. Apparently the I/O address built onto the card was changed so you have to rewrite the tulip module manually in order to get it to work. To begin insert the following line at line 201 (its a function I beleive) of the tulip module source code (tulip_core.c)
" {0x1414, 0x0002, PCI_ANY_ID, PCI_ANY_ID, 0, 0, COMET}, "
save and do the following commands.
cd /usr/src/linux**** #(**** = kernel number)
make dep
make modules
make modules_install
do a restart and everything should be ok
right now I'm using mine in slackware so I know it works.