PDA

View Full Version : ANNOUNCE: Knoppix Persistent Home 0.4 released

monkymind
12-22-2002, 02:12 AM
I've just noticed that Knoppix Persistent Home 0.4 has been released -
it may just fix your USB drive probs ........

You can download it under:
http://www.centernetworx.de/knx_persistent_home_0.4.zip

Changes to the alpha version (for those who have tested it):
- The problem with the weird icon locations is fixed
- USB-thumbdrives and ZIP-drives are really supported now (thoroughly
tested!)
- Extra scripts "preknoppix.sh" and "postknoppix.sh" can be used to
prepare special devices (like the ZIP-drive)
- a new readme in german AND english
- some bugfixes (especially thanks to Peter Moestl)
- new bootparameter "nohome" to avoid the use of the persistent home
(useful if the knoppix.sh was burned on CD)
- the direct mount option is no longer supported (was just problematic!)

Phredd
12-22-2002, 02:47 AM
Thx again MonkyMIND!

Phredd
12-22-2002, 03:00 AM
It installed fine. I watched what it was doing and it did not "error out".

If you will, would you discribe to me HOW you use it? It is NOT automatic unless you burn a new cdrom right? So what do you do? Boot up and then run what script? When? How do you shutdown? Re-Sync?

There are a couple new scripts (knx_copy_home, saveconfig) - when would you use these?

:lol:

Phredd
12-22-2002, 03:58 AM
One other piece of the puzzle...I DO NOT have a floppy drive on the laptop Im trying to do this with...I think that is my problem...to use this do you have to have the new $HOME media, the Knoppix CDROM *and* the floppy?

Can someone shed some light on this?

Id like to be able to do this *without* a floppy disk (drive). Not possible?

monkymind
12-22-2002, 05:12 AM
One other piece of the puzzle...I DO NOT have a floppy drive on the laptop Im trying to do this with...I think that is my problem...to use this do you have to have the new $HOME media, the Knoppix CDROM *and* the floppy?

To use it with the standard Knoppix CD you need a floppy drive and enter the "knoppix floppyconf" command on bootup.

You can also burn a new CD with the "Persistent home" scripts on it. I've newer tried this so I don't know what steps are involved. (pretty sure its fairly quick & easy compared to a remaster though).

Perhaps Dave_Bechtel would be willing to help you!? Or even point you in the right direction :-
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=39

let me know how you go,
rob

monkymind
12-23-2002, 06:45 AM

To use it with the standard Knoppix CD you need a floppy drive and enter the "knoppix floppyconf" command on bootup.

You can also burn a new CD with the "Persistent home" scripts on it. I've newer tried this so I don't know what steps are involved. (pretty sure its fairly quick & easy compared to a remaster though).

Update
Making a Persistent Home CD was even easier than I'd orginally thought :?

1) Copy all files and folders from Knoppix CD to an empty directory
2) Copy "knx_persisten_home" and "knoppix.sh" to the /KNOPPIX directory
3) Burn bootable CD using "boot-en.img" as the boot image data

Runs beautifully :D

seeya
rob

Phredd
12-23-2002, 04:26 PM
Rob,

I did as you suggested and burned a cd...

It starts up...gives the penguin picture and says I cant find the cdrom now...so Im going to give you a mini linux prompt which you cant do crap from. It then gives me a list of 7-10 programs it can run. Nice touch - giving me a prompt even tho *I* screwed up...

I did give it the boot .img (otherwise I never would not have gotten that far).

I did check the cd within windows to verify the files were all there...further I did not error out within Nero when burning the cdrom.

The *ONLY* thing I can find that is different is that the CD volume name on my disk was "KNOPPIX" where the it calls for "Knoppix". My Nero version will NOT allow me to use lower case CD volume names. Is that my problem? Im going to find another cdburner program that will allow me to use lower case names....can someone verify that Knoppix is sensitive to the volume label? If so, is there a technical reason to enforce the CD label name?

Thx all! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!! Ho! Ho! Ho's...for everyone!

monkymind
12-24-2002, 12:28 AM
Rob,

I did as you suggested and burned a cd...

It starts up...gives the penguin picture and says I cant find the cdrom now...so Im going to give you a mini linux prompt which you cant do crap from. It then gives me a list of 7-10 programs it can run. Nice touch - giving me a prompt even tho *I* screwed up...

I did give it the boot .img (otherwise I never would not have gotten that far).

I did check the cd within windows to verify the files were all there...further I did not error out within Nero when burning the cdrom.

The *ONLY* thing I can find that is different is that the CD volume name on my disk was "KNOPPIX" where the it calls for "Knoppix". My Nero version will NOT allow me to use lower case CD volume names. Is that my problem? Im going to find another cdburner program that will allow me to use lower case names....can someone verify that Knoppix is sensitive to the volume label? If so, is there a technical reason to enforce the CD label name?

Thx all! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!! Ho! Ho! Ho's...for everyone!

I'm not sure what went wrong with your CD. I used Nero to burn mine :?
The only other things I can think of are :-
* I removed the boot-de.img to have a little more space on the CD
* put a copy of the boot-en.img in the root of the HD & had nero use that
* burnt at 8x as a precaution

None of the above should have made any difference ????
Perhaps someone else may have a go at it and provide some feedback :idea:

All the Xmas best to the lot of you! :D
rob

Phredd
12-24-2002, 04:03 PM
Ok...I burned the cd in nero...using the boot-en.img...My computer finds the cdrom...gives me the boot: prompt...I hit enter and I get:

PCI: Cannot allocate resources region 4 of device 00:07.1

Welcome to the KNOPPIX live Linux-onCD!

Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
Press reset button to quit.

Additional builtin command available:
cat mount umount
insmod rmmod lsmod

knoppix#

Any idea anyone :?:

Luke Galea
12-24-2002, 05:02 PM
Why can't I use an NFS mount to persist my home?

Phredd
12-24-2002, 06:06 PM
Luke,

From what I can tell the script looks for mounted file systems (devices) that are /dev/hd* or /dev/sd*...I think the idea is to find removable media...

Anyone know for sure?

Luke Gale
12-24-2002, 06:41 PM
Well.. What would be incredible is if you had exposed an nfs share to the net, and had a cd-rom set up to mount the nfs share remotely and use it as the home directory.. and to use ram/swap space for the share until shutdown, then persist everything to the nfs store.

Then you could just carry a cd around with everything you would ever want!!

Phredd
12-24-2002, 08:22 PM
I like the way your thinking Luke...submit it to the "Ideas" forum...

monkymind
12-24-2002, 10:57 PM
Ok...I burned the cd in nero...using the boot-en.img...My computer finds the cdrom...gives me the boot: prompt...I hit enter and I get:

PCI: Cannot allocate resources region 4 of device 00:07.1

Welcome to the KNOPPIX live Linux-onCD!

Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
Press reset button to quit.

Additional builtin command available:
cat mount umount
insmod rmmod lsmod

knoppix#

Any idea anyone :?:

hmmmm..... check the directory structure on your CD

should be :-
/DEMOS <folder>
/KNOPPIX <folder>
/TALKS <folder>
autorun.bat
autorun.inf
index.html
knoppix.ico

merry christmas :)
rob

Phredd
12-25-2002, 12:05 AM
WORKING NOW!!!!

Thx for everyone's help!

EasyCDCreator 5.0 finally did it...Nero didnt work for me...hmmmm.

A. Jorge Garcia
01-01-2003, 10:02 PM
Just one question, just what does KNOPPIX persistent home 0.4 do????

01-03-2003, 03:08 AM

KPH 0.4 allows you to store your /ramdisk/home/knoppix settings onto your hard disk. Previously the user had to save the settings to a floppy using the saveconfig program or from the menu in KNOPPIX.

KPH 0.4 sets up a mountable file on an existing linux partition, when you reboot KPH 0.4 will restore your KDE desktop settings. In theory KPH 0.4 can be modified to allow you to save anything to the hard disk.

A. Jorge Garcia
01-05-2003, 04:31 AM
Oh, now this is interesting! It does this automatically on a WIndoze partition?

Schwarze
01-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Oh, now this is interesting! It does this automatically on a WIndoze partition?

Yes and no! :wink:

It's a two-step process: [supposed you have uncompressed and copied the persistent_home package to a floppy disc.]
First you have to start the script knx_persistent_home and choose the partition you like for your home directory (this can be everything that knoppix supports but not NTFS!). You have to mount (writable!) the desired partition yourself before you start the knx_persistent_home script!

The second step is to reboot knoppix with the bootparameter "floppyconf". The knoppix.sh script of persistent home (on the floppy) will now search for the home directory file and mount it. If this file is not found (maybe because you have chosen to put it on an USB pen drive and forgot to plug the pen) knoppix will fallback to use the ramdisk as if nothing has happend.

There's an optional third step:
I've put a "manipulated" saveconfig script in the package. By using this you can save your system configuration and bootparameters (like "wheelmouse") to your persistent home. This configuration file will automatically be found and applied at every reboot of knoppix.

Btw. if you use the original saveconfig (from the K-menu) and keep the persistent home package on a floppy (like in the example above) you would overwrite and kill the knoppix.sh of persistent home :cry:

Hope it helps!
Bye, Matthias

Thor
01-08-2003, 06:31 AM
I have ntfs on my hard drive could I use a USB burner as a mountable drive :?:

audioaficionado
01-09-2003, 09:16 AM
Since I can only floppy boot, I don't need a bootable CD.

All I have to do is burn another CD-R with those additial script files in the Knoppix folder, use my same boot floppy and I should be good to go?

schwarze
01-09-2003, 09:35 PM
Since I can only floppy boot, I don't need a bootable CD.

All I have to do is burn another CD-R with those additial script files in the Knoppix folder, use my same boot floppy and I should be good to go?

That 100% correct! :)
I use the same method for the opposite reason. My girlfriend's notebook has no floppy drive, so persistent home on CD is the only chance to save the configuration etc.

@ Thor:
"I have ntfs on my hard drive could I use a USB burner as a mountable drive?"
I guess it should work, but you will have no fun with it's performance.
If the USB burner can act like an USB pen drive (with RWs of course) you can
give it a try.
(If you try it, please post the results - I'm curious about it. 8) )

Matthias

audioaficionado
01-10-2003, 12:32 AM
Update

seeya
rob

What did you do with the 'knx_copy_home' file?

Since I boot with the floppy, shouldn't these files go on my boot floppy?

Or does Knoppix prefer to grab these files from the CD/Knoppix <directory>?

Hedging my bets, would it work putting them on both boot floppy and CD?

schwarze
01-10-2003, 02:15 PM
Update

seeya
rob

What did you do with the 'knx_copy_home' file?

Since I boot with the floppy, shouldn't these files go on my boot floppy?

Or does Knoppix prefer to grab these files from the CD/Knoppix <directory>?

Hedging my bets, would it work putting them on both boot floppy and CD?

You are right, again! 8)

All the files from the package should stay together either:
- on a floppy disc. If you put them there, you will need the "floppyconf" boot parameter
or
- inside the /KNOPPIX-directory on the CD. This way you don't need any parameter since KNOPPIX will use the knoppix.sh automatically, if it finds it there. This is the easiest solution as rob stated: No disc, no parameter, best performance.

The "copyhome" thing is just an option, so you can use PH as a kind of permanent preset without having your home directory persistent. Hence the name: it copies your settings to your home directory which is still on the ramdisk.

Bye, Matthias

audioaficionado
01-11-2003, 02:08 AM

KPH 0.4 allows you to store your /ramdisk/home/knoppix settings onto your hard disk. Previously the user had to save the settings to a floppy using the saveconfig program or from the menu in KNOPPIX.

KPH 0.4 sets up a mountable file on an existing linux partition, when you reboot KPH 0.4 will restore your KDE desktop settings. In theory KPH 0.4 can be modified to allow you to save anything to the hard disk.

How about if you use the F2 cheat code 'knoppix desktop=icewm"? Will it save the other WM or KDE only?

01-12-2003, 01:07 AM
As far as I can work out it saves the entire knoppix directory, but you would need to try it and see. Some things in the KDE desktop config it seems to save and others it doesn't. For example if you change the wallpaper it stays changed when I reboot, but if I disable the clock and keyboard icon in the taskbar it isn't disabled when I reboot.

> How about if you use the F2 cheat code 'knoppix desktop=icewm"? Will > it save the other WM or KDE only?[/quote]

[quote=A. Jorge Garcia]Just one question, just what does KNOPPIX persistent home 0.4 do????

lilliput
01-21-2003, 08:19 AM
Some idea about this topic

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=333

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
lilliput@free.fr
Smaller we are, bigger our exploration is...

audioaficionado
02-28-2003, 06:55 AM
Big Bummer :(

I copied all the scripts including the corrected knoppix_sh and all I got was a screen full of error messages about not finding valid FAT32 file system for PH durring boot. Afterwards I was in 2002-12-12 Knoppix but no PH.

What are the minimum files to make it work? Maybe all of them is confusing Knoppix.

Knoppix_sh
knx_persistent_home
knx_copy_home

Are only the extra files I put into the Knoppix folder before reburning.

The new KDE3.1/Knoppix had the old defective knoppix_sh and that's why PH wouldn't work there.

Any ideas guys?

audioaficionado
02-28-2003, 10:18 AM
Well I figured out how to create the PH file on the HD by clicking on the knx_persistent_home and installing it. I have it on a rieserFS partition. It's got stuff in it but after a reboot, nothing was restored from previous session.

Now how do I save it and restore it for the next session?

audioaficionado
02-28-2003, 01:51 PM
Hmmm...

That rieserFS PH knoppix file is causing boot problems but even with r/w set for the partition I can't delete it.

I created another one on a FAT32 partition but PH/knoppix prefers the Linux FS over the M$ FS. Go figure :(

If I absoutely have to, I'll delete the whole rieserFS parition in w2k. Drastic but it'll work.

Robert Michel
03-08-2003, 01:54 AM
Breaking News: Knoppix :lol: :lol: :lol:. :lol: :lol: (3.2) presentated at CeBIT with KPH

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4536
Jippieee.....yeah!
rob

audioaficionado
03-08-2003, 02:23 AM
The sixty thousand dollar question: When will it hit the mirrors?

Edit: ... in eleven days I just heard. Plenty of time to solidify my Libernet-Debian HD install or get Gentoo installed.

Even so, there'll always be a Knoppix CD nearby my computer.

Phredd
03-08-2003, 02:56 AM
11 days? ELEVEN DAYS?!?! ***E*L*E*V*E*N D*A*Y*S?!?!??!?!***

HUH!?!?! I was 'jonesing' only having to wait until the morning!!! (when I thought it would be there)

Why 11 days?!?

That is, (as they say in the movie "The Sandlot") F-O-R-E-V-E-R!!!!

11 days in internet time is like 6,530 dog years.

What gives?

Gimme 3.2!

mabhatter
03-08-2003, 03:57 AM
will persistant home be in 3.2?

I'm not anywhere near good enough to set this upon my own yet--Love to, but let's be realistic...

Could a CD be set up to check several different things? I can think of lots of options right now. It's important to get rid of the need for floppies though. An extra thing to need is too much. An external USB HD would be killer for moble people! You could boot from the CD and carry everything with you. As long as the HD could track which computers it was on (there are some privacy concerns, but at last a real use for a processor serial number!) or let Knoppix autodetect as much as possible. You could even keep seperate network setting, screens, whole work environments. Plug in at home for projects, work set up for high-power coding, and buddies ready-to-go for gaming! The computer would be ambiguous only your data would matter!

I like the network storage opions too. Perhaps they could add real login support. That would be needed in most corps and would allow Knoppix to find your stuff on boot accross the network. From any PC in the company! I know servers normally handle this stuff, it would make networks wickedly easy to set up properly and securely.

Robert Michel
03-08-2003, 01:24 PM
[quote="mabhatter"]will persistant home be in 3.2?

Yes it is anounced, see: http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
"Possibility to create a persistent homedir with personal data and desktop settings on a memory stick or similar, optional with AES encryption."

A PersitantHomeHowTo would be cool. Will someone of you ( audioaficionado 8) ? ) start to write it?
See at the HowTos http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/HomePage
PersitentHomeHowTo is still unwritten :wink:

So please explain us how to use this genius script...
rob

Robert Michel
03-10-2003, 02:38 AM
Hey Guys, I had asked you to write about the HowTo, because
I haven't used PersistentHome yet. Inbetween I found a German
text
"http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/Knoppix Persistent Home"
attetention, it has blanks in its name.
This document seems to be written by the author of the Persitent Home
and I haven't found a link to it. (Only by history).

But I was so motivated to start the translation. Would you like
to read this text?
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/PersistentHomeHowTo

If you think this isn't yet a text for publicity, you can remove the
link form http://www.knoppix.net/docs/

Good night,
rob

audioaficionado
03-10-2003, 01:39 PM
I hope the newest knx3.2 will have the updated scripts or you might not even be able to write to the HD. See this thread (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0).

The KDE3.1 edaz did had the older versions and I can't write to my HD either. In my 12-12-2002 knx3.1 I can write and edit most of my HD because the scripts are absent. I burned a copy of 3.1 with the fixed PH and I could write to the HD too and create a PH file on the HD. I just haven't been able to get it to pick up the saved prior session configs and pick up where I left off.

audioaficionado
03-20-2003, 05:45 PM
It's all good now with the newest v3.2 from cebit.

Once you've done all the cheatcodes to get in in English, wheelmouse, working xserver, etc and then tweaked it for several hours, save the configs through the k-menu/knoppix options and next time you boot it will sit there and wait for you to hit enter or F2 before it proceeds to boot. I discovered you can enter the cheat codes right in the intial boot screen if you've memorized them and it will load them from there. All you have to do to get back to where you left off is type knoppix myconfig=scan and you will be back just like a HD installation.

Fantastic work and thanx to Klaus.