PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't HDD install work like Knoppix on the CD?

johnc
10-30-2004, 03:46 PM
I'm pretty new to knoppix/linux so please bear with me.

Knoppix from the CD works great on my HP Pavilion N3370 notebook. However, when I did a HDD install, my network card is not detected and I don't hear the "Initiating Startup Sequence" sound.

Is there any way to have the same startup sequence on the HDD as on the CD?

Thanks

firebyrd10
10-30-2004, 10:53 PM

Knoppix from the CD works great on my HP Pavilion N3370 notebook. However, when I did a HDD install, my network card is not detected and I don't hear the "Initiating Startup Sequence" sound.

Thanks

After a HD install just run the network configure program (In the knoppix menu). As for the sound, I'm not sure.

CrashedAgain
10-31-2004, 04:33 PM

Thanks

Sound: this depends on what type of hd install you did. The startup sounds are there if you did the Knoppix type install but not if you chose the Debian type install. Not sure about the beginner type install. The Debian type install does not use the same autoconfig script as the Knoppix install.

Cuddles
10-31-2004, 05:42 PM

Thanks

Lets start off with the obvious, the Live CD is read-only, thus, things dont change. When you boot the Live CD, it has to auto-config, and auto-detect, each time you boot it. It also "knows" only of two users; root and knoppix, whereas, after you install, it may have more, or the same, users, to contend with. After you install, you probably will want to have "login" previledges for any, and all, of your users, including the two default ones. This "login" process, adds a few "wrinkles" into the boot sequience that are not a part of the Live CD, which defaults to booting only the "knoppix" user. After you install knoppix, it becomes a "full-fledged" OS, and depending on the install you chose, may disable the auto anything from setting everything up for you each time you boot, this is then left for the Administrator of your system to set up, enable, or disable, any services they deam important to running.

To get to your sound issue, the boot sequence may have changed, and even though I installed my knoppix with the Debian Style, I get the "do do doo do doo" sound, but not the "initialing system start up sequence" sound any more... The sound snippet is still where all the sound clips are at, but, I dont have a boot sequence sound ability, only the "login" sequence now. I can change the sound that is used in the "login" sequence though.

I think it was Rickenbackerus [sp] that explained the whole "Live CD and Hard Drive installed" thing the best... After you hard drive install Knoppix to your system, it becomes Debian, I guess this could be different if you choose an install option of Knoppix Style, but, Knoppix is based on the Debian "Sid" release, thus, it is a variant of Debian, none-the-less.

Hope this helps, at least a little