PDA

View Full Version : Prism2 Wireless Support

opel70
03-27-2003, 09:19 PM
I've just tried the latest 3.2 cd hoping that the changed wireless support would work with my Compaq Evo. No such luck. It uses a Prism2 based chip. Are there any plans on including more wireless drivers on the base cd? Is there an easy way to add new drivers (on floppy or cd directory) without remastering the whole cd?

Tim

opel70
03-27-2003, 09:47 PM
Hmmm, after doing a bit more research, the multiport wireless adapter in the Evo is a USB wireless adapter. It is recognized enough to be able to run the Wavelan Configuration, it just never actually gets enabled.

Any ideas?

Tim

probono
06-07-2003, 03:21 AM
To use my Prism2-baseed USB wireless adapter (Siemens SpeedStream), I did the following:

in /etc/networking/interfaces:

iface wlan0 inet dhcp

Then I use the following commands to connect:

wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_ifstate ifstate=enable
wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_autojoin ssid=SpeedStream authtype=opensystem
ifup wlan0
pump -i wlan0

Of course you have to use your own SSID. Hope this works for you.

Knewbie
06-07-2003, 05:16 PM
Probono wrote:

wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_autojoin ssid=[...removed...] authtype=opensystem
ifup wlan0
pump -i wlan0

Thank you! I am not the original poster, but this answers a major question of mine as well.

Next question....(warning: massive display of ignorance ahead!)

How can I get these commands to execute automatically on startup?

kris
06-07-2003, 05:33 PM
To use my Prism2-baseed USB wireless adapter (Siemens SpeedStream), I did the following:

in /etc/networking/interfaces:

iface wlan0 inet dhcp

wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_autojoin ssid=SpeedStream

I get an error on the first command something about
hfa384x_docmd: ctlx failure=REQ_TIMEOUT
hfa384x_drvr_start: cmd_intialiize() failed, result = -5

Any thoughts on what i could try?

Knewbie
06-08-2003, 05:11 PM
Kris wrote:

I get an error on the first command something about
hfa384x_docmd: ctlx failure=REQ_TIMEOUT
hfa384x_drvr_start: cmd_intialiize() failed, result = -5

Any thoughts on what i could try?

The README in file:/usr/share/doc/linux-wlan-ng, suggests preceding the above commands with this one:

Run 'modprobe prism2_usb prism2_doreset=1' to load the driver into memory.

probono
06-08-2003, 11:02 PM
How can I get these commands to execute automatically on startup?
If you have a HD install, you could simply put the commands into a file "wireless.sh" which you make executable (chmod 777 wireless.sh) and put it in your KDE autostart folder (~/.kde/Autostart).

(This is the quick hack, the "real" thing would be to write a start script inside /etc/init.d and set links to /etc/rc...)

If you run from CD, you simply include the commands in your knoppix.sh file that gets executed on every start.

charles
06-25-2003, 01:32 AM
Hi all. I have been following this conversation since I joined. When I try to do this with my box, I get an error "wlanctl-ng: error no such device". Any help?

Thanks

manjo
06-27-2003, 08:16 PM
try wlcardconfig

and then pump -i <interface>

aay
06-27-2003, 10:52 PM
Probono,

I saw your tip about how to get these usb based devices working on another post (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2920#13694) and it has helped me out greatly. My problem has to do with encryption. I can't seem to get it to work.

I'm using a Linksys usb wireles adapter (WUSB12). I have tried my best to get things going by looking at the info here (http://www.fuw.edu.pl/~pliszka/hints/prism2.html) and here (http://www.siliconvalleyccie.com/linux-hn/wmp11-linux.htm), but to no avail.

Basically the above mentioned posts got me to include my encryption info in /etc/wlan/wlan.conf. But after doing this I can no longer use pump to grab an ip address.

Have you had any luck getting WEP to work?

Basically I have turned it off at this point and have set up my WAP to allow only certain mac addresses to connect. I would really like to get WEP working though.

BTW, I got everything to start up automatically by putting your commands into a bash script and placing it in /etc/init.d and then putting a symbolic link to it in /etc/rc5.d Works for me.

Thanks for any advice you guys have to offer on WEP.

Adam

garyng
06-28-2003, 10:34 AM
how did you setup the WEP password stuff ? My experience is that unless the WEB/ESSID is setup correctly(so the card can talk with the router at that level), pump would fail.

I didn't use wlan-ng so I don't know how it would be done for your card.

For my orinoco silver, I just did :

iwconfig eth0 essid "my essid set on the router" key "s:xxxxx"

where xxxxx is a 5 char(WEP 40 bit) key. The "s:" is important as that is the only way I can specify the hex key format(xxxxx).

charles
06-28-2003, 11:04 PM
Ok, thanks for all your help so far. There are still sevreal problems though. When I run the commands that Probo suggests, I get the error "insmod: driver not installed". This *is* different to what I was getting before, so I am hopeful.

When I try manjo's "wlcardconfig" I get a "error: no wireless cards found".

I hope I can get this to work! Thanks for your help so far!

aay
06-29-2003, 05:13 AM
how did you setup the WEP password stuff ? My experience is that unless the WEB/ESSID is setup correctly(so the card can talk with the router at that level), pump would fail.

I didn't use wlan-ng so I don't know how it would be done for your card.

For my orinoco silver, I just did :

iwconfig eth0 essid "my essid set on the router" key "s:xxxxx"

where xxxxx is a 5 char(WEP 40 bit) key. The "s:" is important as that is the only way I can specify the hex key format(xxxxx).

Yeah, my Orinoco Gold card works fine when I put in the WEP key with wlcardconfig or iwconfig but neither of these work with this prism2 based usb adapter. I'll keep working on it I guess.