PDA

View Full Version : Kde 3.2 on Knoppix

upchucky
10-30-2004, 07:56 PM
Hello all,

I am running knoppix on my laptop, and I have a Linux Format DVD that has Kde 3.2 for Debian as a major upgrade, the Mag says the debian package is available, and I can see the kde 3.2 file on the dvd.
The Magazine only shows the commands for "rpm"

I do not know how to upgrade kde from the dvd. I have used apt-get to install other apps from the internet, but this is not a viable solution from home as I only have dialup at ten cents a minute.

I need the commands to use to upgrade Kde from my cdrom/dvd to my hda1 knoppix/Debian system.

still learning
thanks to all

OErjan
10-30-2004, 08:31 PM
there is several ways to go, if you want to use apt you can.
more on apt here
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/index.en.html
go here to read all about using apt localy or with cdrom
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-basico.en.html#s-dpkg-scanpackages

2.4 Adding a CD-ROM to the sources.list file

If you'd rather use your CD-ROM for installing packages or updating your system automatically with APT, you can put it in your sources.list. To do so, you can use the apt-cdrom program like this:

# apt-cdrom add

with the Debian CD-ROM in the drive. It will mount the CD-ROM, and if it's a valid Debian CD it will look for package information on the disk. If your CD-ROM configuration is a little unusual, you can also use the following options:

-h - program help
-d directory - CD-ROM mount point
-r - Rename a recognized CD-ROM
-m - No mounting
-f - Fast mode, don't check package files
-a - Thorough scan mode

For example:

# apt-cdrom -d /home/kov/mycdrom add

You can also identify a CD-ROM, without adding it to your list:

# apt-cdrom ident

Note that this program only works if your CD-ROM is properly configured in your system's /etc/fstab.
hope it helps, ask further if you need

Ed B.
10-31-2004, 02:29 PM
Put the deb file where you want it, change to the directory it's in and do:

dpkg -i filename.deb

Good luck :-)