PDA

View Full Version : game needs root

nishtya
10-30-2004, 09:51 PM
Kind of. Since switching I have been pining for my online scrabble in linux. Well, they have it in java now and it does work. But only as root. I have to su (well sux, actually).

Is this a bad thing?

This is it, BTW.
http://www.isc.ro/linux/download.html

If someone can get it run as user please let me know. It bugs out after language selection when loading the board if I try it.

mzilikazi
10-30-2004, 09:57 PM
I have not had a chance to check out this game but have you tried launching it from cli? It might just be complaining about a particular tool or otherwise that it needs to run but your user does not yet have permission to use said tool.

nishtya
10-30-2004, 10:14 PM
it is launched from command line.

java -jar wordbiz.jar

But I have to su (sux) or the board won't load. It bugs out. Poof.

mzilikazi
10-31-2004, 12:40 AM
Well I had the same results. :( I did use the -verbose option tho. It's crashing here:

[Loaded java.io.DataOutput from /usr/lib/j2re1.4-sun/lib/rt.jar]
[Loaded java.io.RandomAccessFile from /usr/lib/j2re1.4-sun/lib/rt.jar]

Perhaps it is trying to write to a non-writable directory?? I'd contact the author and ask.

nishtya
10-31-2004, 01:06 AM
I can try, gotta find out who it is first :)

In the meantime, is doing this with sux anything I like really shouldn't be doing? It's been years with nothing for linux with this game and I am soooooooo wanting to play it.

mzilikazi
10-31-2004, 02:04 AM
Well I could not in good conscience recommend that you do anything online as root. It just can't be a good idea. Maybe this will be of some assistance: http://www.isc.ro/help/contact.html

nishtya
10-31-2004, 03:03 AM
awww, they aren't terribly responsive to those who aren't dues-paying members. It took them two weeks to respond to a password request :shock: I will try. But having so much fun!!! I have missed scrabble. I just don't know enough about this applet to figure out why it needs root. Maybe a look at the processes when I am running it?

mzilikazi
11-01-2004, 04:55 PM
awww, they aren't terribly responsive to those who aren't dues-paying members. It took them two weeks to respond to a password request :shock:

Well how (or more specifically WHY) do they expect a Linux user to pay dues when their client doesn't work properly? ;) IMHO they have to offer good software before they can expect to charge dues.