PDA

View Full Version : knoppix-install refuses to work

Laen
10-31-2004, 09:33 PM
Hello!

I tried Knoppix and I liked it a lot, so I decided to replace my current Linux distribution with it. Everything went fine. I repartitioned my hard drive, leaving Windows XP on hda1 and creating hda2 and hda3, one of them for swap and the other for root.
However, knoppix-install keeps saying that I still haven't done the requiered preparation for the installation. The swap partition is of type swap (82) and the root one is ext3 (83) and is way more than the required 3GB.
I read somewhere that your Linux partition must be the first one. Is this true? Because I certainly can't remove Windows.

I tried starting knoppix-install with the install_check=1 option, so that it stops complaining and everything seems to go fine until the now dreaded 66% when I get a series of errors.

I was really looking forward to using Knoppix for a long period and finally stop my distribution testing that consumes very many hours. So any suggestions will be more than welcome. Thank you :).

firebyrd10
10-31-2004, 10:41 PM
I have knoppix on hda2, so it doesn't need to be first. Try doing a knoppix testcd at boot.

Laen
10-31-2004, 10:53 PM
It said that everything seems okay... :?

I may go for Mepis as I heard that it has a better hd install utility and is also a pretty good distro.

firebyrd10
11-01-2004, 03:03 AM
It said that everything seems okay... :?

I may go for Mepis as I heard that it has a better hd install utility and is also a pretty good distro.

I've heard cases where you need to mount the drive first. :?
wasn;t the case for me but it seemed to work of others.