PDA

View Full Version : Mouse problems. Need a few pointers (geddit?)

fannymites
11-01-2004, 02:53 AM
After having problems installing a modem driver when using kernel2.6 I've switched to using the 2.4 kernel. Unfortunately, my Labtec 3 button mouse is giving me some hassle. I don't know how to explain exactly but it just doesn't feel right, it's a bit sluggish and unresponsive though it works perfectly with the 2.6 kernel.
I've tried reconfiguring it but I just can't get it to feel like it does normally.

eon
11-01-2004, 03:07 PM
In KDE use the kmenu go to System>Control Center>Periipherals>mouse clicking on the advanced tab will give you a screen for changing aceleration and other attributes of your pointing device.

fannymites
11-01-2004, 03:19 PM
I've tried changing the attributes and everything matches exactly how it is set up with the 2.6 kernel but it still feels wrong. Like I said, I'm not sure how to explain but it is quite hard to aim the mouse pointer at a small button first time, I keep missing, if you get what I mean.

eon
11-01-2004, 05:07 PM
I don't know if there is a problem with Xfree86.Config-4 in the latest knoppix releases.
My scroll wheel doesn't work with the 2.6 kernel but it does with 2.4.26. Could do a search on this....
Also since you had no problem with the mouse in 2.6 do you want to try and resolve the modem driver problem instead? What modem are you using? If it's a winmodem some of those can be difficult to get working-as you've discovered.
Have you checked this site? : http://walbran.org/sean/linux/linmodem-howto.html
Hope this is of some help.

fannymites
11-01-2004, 11:47 PM
Unfortunately, yes I have seen that site and many, many others relating to installing winmodems on linux but I tried for three weeks to get get modem working and it was only when I accidentally loaded in the 2.4 kernel that I got the driver to install. Incidentally, it is the very latest driver for that modem from the Intel website and they claim it works with 2.6 kernels but clearly not mine.
Anyhow, I've tried a different mouse and this one is working fine with 2.4 so I'm happy now.

CrashedAgain
11-04-2004, 05:23 AM
I don't know if there is a problem with Xfree86.Config-4 in the latest knoppix releases.
My scroll wheel doesn't work with the 2.6 kernel but it does with 2.4.26. Could do a search on this....
Also since you had no problem with the mouse in 2.6 do you want to try and resolve the modem driver problem instead? What modem are you using? If it's a winmodem some of those can be difficult to get working-as you've discovered.
Have you checked this site? : http://walbran.org/sean/linux/linmodem-howto.html
Hope this is of some help.
Had the same problem, solved it by changing protocol=auto to protocol=IMPS/2 in /etc/X11/XF86config-4:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "PS/2 Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
# modified by CrashedAgain for wheelmouse support with 2.6.6 kernel
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
Option "Emulate3Timeout" "70"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
EndSection