PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix OS connection problem through speedtouch ASDL modem

Schloegl
11-01-2004, 06:26 PM
I have recently obtained a Live CD for the OS Knippax 3.6(Linux Family). When running this OS from the Live CD I was very impressed by the various features this OS offers. Before installing Knippax 3.7 on the HD (which seems to be a rather complex affair) as an alternative/backup to Windows XP, I tried to set up a broadband internet connection via my Speedtouch 330 USB/ASDL Modem. Unfurtunately I did not succeed.

When clicking on the ASDL/PPPOE Configutation Tab I got the following message:
"Sorry, no working ethernet card could be found. If you have an interface card which was not autodetected so far, you probably wish to load the driver manually, using the modconf utility. Run modconf now?"

I clicked on Yes and as a result a menue of various drivers was displayed. Amongst others the drivers which had been detected by Knoppix 3.6 were
USB Alcatel Speedtouch USB Support
and USB (Universal Series Bus) Support

Although these drivers seem to me to be the right ones required, I could not get any further.

Is there anybody out there who has ever tried to get Knoppix 3.6 or similar working on the broadband internet?? I am desperately looking for some help and if possible for a step-by-step procedure to connect Knoppix 3.6 to the internet.

Cheers

Dieter

drb
11-01-2004, 08:04 PM
There are scripts for this modem in Kanotix. BH9A is the latest version. I use the 330 modem with PPPoATM in the UK without any problems so the PPPoE script should also work with Kanotix.

drb

Schloegl
11-02-2004, 04:47 PM
Hello drb,

thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately I made a spelling mistake. The Live CD is for the Knoppix 3.6 OS and not the Knippax OS.

Does your reply also cover Knoppix?

I am, by the way, also living in the UK. I am using the Speedtouch 330 USB/ASDL Modem as provided by Wanadoo (formerly Freeserve) for my broadband internet connection. Because I am not an expert, I do not know what to do with the script.

I would be very grateful if you could tell me how to impement or install the script.

Thanks
Dieter

drb
11-07-2004, 08:39 PM
Dieter

Kanotix (latest version BH9A) is a Knoppix derivative. I struggled to get Knoppix ADSL over PPPoATM to work even using the Kanotix scripts hence started using Kanotix. I've had very few problems with Kanotix which has detected all of my laptop and desktop hardware without any problems.

drb